Is There A Sudden Fad for Classic Cars Amongst The Membership?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Proto

Legendary Member
I used to regularly drive a 205 1.9 back in the day. The imho the Injection Capri felt faster. ;)

Many moons ago, I had a bit of a tear up with 2.8i Capri, and my Golf GTi couldn’t keep up, just not enough grunt.

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
We had a 740 for a couple of years
I'd like a 145 estate, or even better; an 'Amazon' estate:notworthy:
(a Peugeot 504 estate, diesel, would be the next choice)

I test drove a banger condition, and price, 145 years ago and it was a delight to drive. Sadly the big ends were knocking so I passed. Quite fancied a 145 or 245 but never got one. A mate bought the v6 version for £150 and promptly drove it to Italy. It did go wrong but it did drive home

snorri

Legendary Member
Sold my 2CV last week, sadly.
Ah the memories, we were going out to Cape Wrath lighthouse quite a number of years ago and hired a similar but older model which was left at the ferry terminal for any potential users. It was a surprisingly mild January day and we had the roof open. At one point we stopped and got out to walk across the moor to inspect some feature. There was a bit of a rumble in the background as the car moved off on its own due to the hand brake not working. It rolled off the road and across the heather for quite a distance, the bouncing on the rough ground throwing the passenger door off its pintles.
Fortunately there were three of us, all fairly fit at the time, and the car was relatively light so we were able to get it back on the road, which was fortunate as there might not have been any passers by for weeks on that road, and no mobile 'phones either:sad:.

southcoast

Über Member
The Renault 5 Turbo was a very entertaining little car. :smile:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Yes on a wet road, but not in the dry.

To be fair I've not driven, nor been in, a v6 capri. I did have a mk 2 cortina though which is essentially the same as a non-hooligan capri albeit with back seats humans could sit in. You could easily drive it to its limit, but the limit wasn't very high. A doddle to maintain - engine swap, alone, in the rain - hour and a half !

I did have a much later golf gti and whilst it was quickish and very comfortable on extremely long journeys (1000 miles say) it wasn't that rewarding - albeit my first really nice (company) car

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
upload_2019-3-19_19-56-49.jpeg

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Fancied a Capri for years, always wanted a 2600 Cologne variant MK1.5, but silly money now, so settled on a late Mk3 a few weeks ago. So I now have quite a few bikes living in the house......
Love Volvo's, so if space allowed it would be a 240 GLT estate, and for the modern (ish) Jap car, twin turbo Supra.

Top Bottom