Is There A Sudden Fad for Classic Cars Amongst The Membership?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bloody hell l have two Braque Gascon dogs (pointers) and they are both mad, l really couldn't cope with a setter, red or otherwise :smile:

Maybe you need one of these: easier to handle.

upload_2019-3-19_16-36-22.jpeg

Proto

Legendary Member
Always wanted a Porsche like that, but I've got a suspicion its a case of never meet your heroes - not that fast, dodgy handling and not particularly well built. As an investment vehicle though, I feel your pain. I've owned a couple of Mk1 Golf Gti's. Sold the last one 20 years ago for £750 :sad:

mustang1

Guru
Always wanted a Porsche like that, but I've got a suspicion its a case of never meet your heroes - not that fast, dodgy handling and not particularly well built. As an investment vehicle though, I feel your pain. I've owned a couple of Mk1 Golf Gti's. Sold the last one 20 years ago for £750 :sad:

My experience has been the opposite: fast, "noble" handling, good build.

mustang1

Guru
I've toyed with the idea of buying a 90's Japanese sports car. I think this is when cars were a lot better built and mechanically bullet-proof, Japanese ones definitely. They are already going up in price. Be a pretty cool weekend car, as modern cars are pretty bland. Just finding a good one that isn't rusty and doesn't cost a bomb. The Mk2 MR2 is a good one, not the best to drive (unless a turbo import), or a Mk 1 MX5 (finding an un-rusty one..). I've always wanted a car with pop-up headlights. This is never going to happen with newer cars due to pedestrian safety.

There are other 90's cars that I would like that are going up in price pretty rapid though. Nissan 200SX (S13 & S14a), Honda S2000, Mazda RX7 FD (so pretty), Honda CRX Mk2 VTI, Honda Integra DC2 Type R (UK spec). The DC2 is a complete blast, my brother had one..

I often see a Ford Probe near where my mother lives. I believe that this is based on a Mazda, I used to think they looked really boring back in the 90's, but the blandness/sameness of modern cars makes me think it looks pretty cool now..

These are my sentiments, but what I've mentioned above possibly dispels it, as 90's cars weren't unreliable on the whole, safer, well built, but still cool..

Has anybody any other ideas about cars that may become classics?

Yeah I think Probe based on Mazda mx6 .I know someone who got chased by the cops in an MR2 and an rx7. I think the guy was in a nice car in the wrong place and the cops got suspicious.

Loved all those Japanese coupes!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
These still look good today despite being designed half a century ago. I had a ride in one once, unfortunately it was a police car and I was in the back seat :sad:

View attachment 458232

My old boss let me drive his. I was impressed with the comfort, pace (it was a V8, albeit sadly an auto) and above all how it seemed to be on rails on the twisty bits. This was in banger condition inherited from his Grandfather if I recall correctly.

PS, love the phrasing of the ride in the back seat point !

woodbutcher

Veteran
Maybe you need one of these: easier to handle.

View attachment 458227
My experience has been the opposite: fast, "noble" handling, good build.
What l would say about the handling is "be Brave" never lift your foot off the gas into a corner or it will be your last !
Reason being that over 50% of the cars total weight is behind the rear axle. and swapping ends comes easy !! After all they were called "widow makers"
among the 1980's yuppies .
Other than that l agree and ho how l wish l still had mine :whistle:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The VTEC engine was great in its day. Once past 5000rpm or so in the Prelude it would scream up to around 7500rpm to redline.
The dashboard was like something out of Startrek. :smile:

Even the little 1.6VTEC in the CRX was a performer.

My aunt had a CRX. It didn't seem all that fast driving it ... till you looked at the speedo ! An impressive machine - this would have been early 80s, so may or may not be the one you are referring to

Top Bottom