Is there any other terminology for the ahead headset?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I suppose there is "threadless headset" but still is there any other word as "ahead headset" does not exactly roll of the toungue. It is a very small point I know but is it just me who dislikes this term? Or is this post an indication that I have overthought this entirely?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
aheadset is what dia compe (now cane creek) registered as a trademark. calling it an aheadset headset seems a little redundant.

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
aheadset is what dia compe (now cane creek) registered as a trademark. calling it an aheadset headset seems a little redundant.
"Aheadset" is just too cumbersome and inelegant and I have heard people call them ahead headsets which is even less becoming. It apears to be the result of some smart bottomed marketing blokes thinking that they were being oh so very clever. Well it doesn't wash with me and I shal from now on refer to them as those new fangled thingies at the front that help you point in the right direction, as this is a far more elegant solution.

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Personally, I call them ugly:whistle:

I agree completely. They lack the elegance of the older quill stems and although I've heard people say that they're easier to adjust and generaly fettle I can't see it myself. I've not had to muck about with one yet but I can't imagine that they are less bother than a proper headset.

Is there an advantage to them at all. I assume that there must be or else they wouldn't have taken over as the standard. What is so great about the threadless stem eh?

Is there an advantage to them at all. I assume that there must be or else they wouldn't have taken over as the standard. What is so great about the threadless stem eh?

Yeah, they're easier to adjust and generally fettle.

Lighter, easier to adjust, did I say that? Stiffer and cheaper to make but......nowhere near as pretty as a quill stem.

Davidc

Guru
They do away with that nasty idea of being able to adjust handlebar height. What a stupid idea that was!

tyred

Legendary Member
They do away with that nasty idea of being able to adjust handlebar height. What a stupid idea that was!

That's my biggest objection.

I've never found it difficult to adjust a threaded headset anyway. I don't understand why some people make such a deal out of it.

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I thought that you could adjust a threadless with the use of spacers but that it does mean having to make them look even uglier by having an extra bit sticking up above the handle bars.

Top Bottom