Is there any way to change the narrative?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Clarify your rights and if confirmed, if you feel the need as time will have passed, write to the club secretary.
Otherwise I'd just enforce my rights, remind others if similar circumstances arose again and console myself that chances are you will be enjoying cycling long after their balls have stopped flattening the grass.:smile:
I did check on the map today - the path I was using is clearly marked as a traffic free route - which really begs the question of whether the bowling club members really are allowed to drive on there.
Interesting this assumption that cyclists aren't allowed to ride in the park. I've heard this said many, many times on the parks community facebook page. I always challenge this, and have people tell me that there are signs at every entrance to the park - there aren't, I've checked, but it really puzzles me as to why people assume this and are prepared to argue the toss about it, even going as far as to inventing imaginary signs.

Thank you every one for your replies.
I was really shaken by what happened yesterday and couldn't sleep because of it, hence posting my long winded OP a silly o'clock in the morning.
I'd already planned to speak to the council. I'd posted on a local community Facebook group that I'm a member of and another user said he'd had a similar problem about 10 minutes after me.
I appreciate this may sound quite a petty thing to get upset about. In all honesty I think I'm at a funny age in life where I'm beginning to despair about the attitudes of my fellow human beings whether that be racism, mysogony or victim blaming of any kind.

Though taxi drivers are fair game, obviously.
I have now passed that age and gone to the next.
I no longer shout and getting in to ineffective arguments as it does not usually provide a satisfactory response.
Now I am at a stage where I carefully gather evidence and make use of the what remains of our democratic legal system. It has provided me with immense satisfaction to win these little victories. I have become a professional complainer.
Therefore I suggest that you do the same as suggested by others except I do not expect a favourable response from the club secretary.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I did check on the map today - the path I was using is clearly marked as a traffic free route - which really begs the question of whether the bowling club members really are allowed to drive on there.
Interesting this assumption that cyclists aren't allowed to ride in the park. I've heard this said many, many times on the parks community facebook page. I always challenge this, and have people tell me that there are signs at every entrance to the park - there aren't, I've checked, but it really puzzles me as to why people assume this and are prepared to argue the toss about it, even going as far as to inventing imaginary signs.

Perhaps contact the local council about the right to drive there, just to be clear? Whilst a map should be accurate, local bylaws might have changed.Once you know for certain, then see how you feel and may be see about having the law enforced, (assuming the map is correct).

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Uhmm, how come that those pensioners are fit enough to play ball games on the grass, but too fragile to walk from the approved car park?
I feel for you, often people that have never cycled in their lives think I'm responsible for all rl jumping cyclists in town!
If you have the energy and the time, I think you should pursue this.
Personally, I'd think very strange that driving in the park is allowed but cycling isn't.
What about kids on scooters or balance bikes? Let the pensioners run them over too? :hugs:

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Uhmm, how come that those pensioners are fit enough to play ball games on the grass, but too fragile to walk from the approved car park?
I feel for you, often people that have never cycled in their lives think I'm responsible for all rl jumping cyclists in town!
If you have the energy and the time, I think you should pursue this.
Personally, I'd think very strange that driving in the park is allowed but cycling isn't.
What about kids on scooters or balance bikes? Let the pensioners run them over too? :hugs:
Cycling is allowed, but the old folk don't think it should be!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
According to old folk (hope I die before I get that old ^_^) cyclists are a menace, should only be on the road.
Wonder if they change their tune if a member of their family is victim of a smidsy? Probably they would say, stop cycling, too dangerous!

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
According to old folk (hope I die before I get that old ^_^) cyclists are a menace, should only be on the road.
Wonder if they change their tune if a member of their family is victim of a smidsy? Probably they would say, stop cycling, too dangerous!
You're probably right. The whole episode was flabbergasting.

I have now passed that age and gone to the next.
I no longer shout and getting in to ineffective arguments as it does not usually provide a satisfactory response.
Now I am at a stage where I carefully gather evidence and make use of the what remains of our democratic legal system. It has provided me with immense satisfaction to win these little victories. I have become a professional complainer.
Therefore I suggest that you do the same as suggested by others except I do not expect a favourable response from the club secretary.

We had a major problem with a local cricket club setting upon the cycle path through a park

At best it became a slalom of abandoned kit bags, and at worst impassable due to sun loungers, scoring tables, and chairs set up on the path.

No longer, they have now discovered the acres of park they can sit and lie on.. it is worth following up

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
I once passed a gaggle of sneering coffin dodgers near Island Gardens, one of whom could not help but voice her displeasure at my existence, saying "look... there... there's another one..."

It was pointed out to her, by another member of her party, that I was within a marked cycling lane, on a public road. I was probably doing about 12mph as I was approaching the entry gates to the park.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
I once passed a gaggle of sneering coffin dodgers near Island Gardens, one of whom could not help but voice her displeasure at my existence, saying "look... there... there's another one..."

It was pointed out to her, by another member of her party, that I was within a marked cycling lane, on a public road. I was probably doing about 12mph as I was approaching the entry gates to the park.
They all hate us :sad:

Broadside

Guru
I was on a family fun day cycle ride with my kids today, got chatting to another parent and even though he was cycling today he commented how annoying cyclists are and always getting in the way while he is driving. I, like you, despair.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Go back after dark, with a plant sprayer filled with paraquat, and write "F**k off you silly old farts" all over their bowling green.

Sounds like it's the only language they understand.
I think a better message would be "Don't drive into my child". They won't go to the press with that, or if they do and try to conceal the message, an anonymous tip could reveal it (but if you send a digital photo, strip the metadata else they can ID the photographer).

Ganymede

Veteran
I was on a family fun day cycle ride with my kids today, got chatting to another parent and even though he was cycling today he commented how annoying cyclists are and always getting in the way while he is driving. I, like you, despair.
Oh my god I've had this too, at the pub. A woman who was asking me all about my recumbent and going on how wonderful cycling is and THEN saying how annoying she finds cyclists when driving. I pointed out the disconnect and she agreed with me. Hopeless. I avoid her now.

Top Bottom