Is There Gonna Be a CC meet up ......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think you'll find that Birmingham is the most centralist of our locations. And, despite what Clarkson says, we do have some rather nice places to eat these days. And only 20 minutes riding to get out into the countryside.

As a slight aside, but another way of advancing the unity here, maybe we should pinch the C+ idea, and ride a CC jersey around as many places in the UK as possible, signing it as it goes along?

Yeah - good idea...shall we put it to Will when he gets back from the Bahamas? ;)

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I think you'll find that Birmingham is the most centralist of our locations. And, despite what Clarkson says, we do have some rather nice places to eat these days. And only 20 minutes riding to get out into the countryside.

As a slight aside, but another way of advancing the unity here, maybe we should pinch the C+ idea, and ride a CC jersey around as many places in the UK as possible, signing it as it goes along?

Excellent idea. :smile: Some people on here, are not as fit as they might prefer to be, and instead of cycling they could test out the local hostelries (after suitable advice from people from the local area) and we all meet up in the evening. ;)

Pete

More than one meet - in different parts of the country? Why not? I don't lay any claims as to the 'superiority' of SE England but I happen to live here and don't fancy a long journey.

What I would ask please, is that if a ride is billed as a 'leisure' ride, it really is a leisure ride and no-one gets dropped... Organise a tail-end charlie who sticks to his or her job. Remember that people unfamiliar with the area join in these rides.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Pete said:
More than one meet - in different parts of the country? Why not? I don't lay any claims as to the 'superiority' of SE England but I happen to live here and don't fancy a long journey.

What I would ask please, is that if a ride is billed as a 'leisure' ride, it really is a leisure ride and no-one gets dropped... Organise a tail-end charlie who sticks to his or her job. Remember that people unfamiliar with the area join in these rides.

Don't worry Pete, any ride with me on it automatically has a tail end charlie.:8:

And stops at every cafe...

And avoids hills...

Birmingham might be alright, but it is only central in terms of England and Wales and I think we have one or two Scots on here.... Mind you, if we factor in Keith and Hippo, 'central' might be somewhere in Outer Mongolia. Always fancied going there....

Arch said:

Birmingham might be alright, but it is only central in terms of England and Wales and I think we have one or two Scots on here....

Indeed. With that regard I recommend Glasgow as your meet up destination. My wife can recommend the shopping! :8: and I promise that all of the buses up here will give us plenty of room....:biggrin:

Pete

Arch said:
Don't worry Pete, any ride with me on it automatically has a tail end charlie.:8:
Bear in mind that the 'tail end charlie' needs to be capable of speeding up and overhauling the leader, in case someone p*nct*res. :biggrin:

Mind you, if we factor in Keith and Hippo, 'central' might be somewhere in Outer Mongolia. Always fancied going there....
It so happens that there will be a total eclipse around there on 1st August this year. Now, how about 'killing two birds....'?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Pete said:
Bear in mind that the 'tail end charlie' needs to be capable of speeding up and overhauling the leader, in case someone p*nct*res. :8:

Cheek!:biggrin:

Um. You might have a point though....:biggrin:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Arch said:

And avoids hills...

Birmingham might be alright, but it is only central in terms of England and Wales and I think we have one or two Scots on here.... Mind you, if we factor in Keith and Hippo, 'central' might be somewhere in Outer Mongolia. Always fancied going there....

I apologise for correcting Arch,:biggrin: and for mentionning this again.:biggrin: The central location for this meeting (bearing in mind Keith and Hippo and factoring in the new location of Davyo), is, in fact, Azerbaydzhanskaya, on the western shore of the Caspian Sea. The drawback being that it is at the southeast extremity of the Caucasus, and therefore a tad hilly for some of us. Do any of the forummers speak Turkic? :biggrin: Perhaps we should stick to somewhere closer, after all. :smile:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Arch said:
Don't worry Pete, any ride with me on it automatically has a tail end charlie.:tongue:

And avoids hills...

Ahem... as I posted on 27th Nov...

The centre of Britain is in Northumberland....
http://www.centre-of-britain.org.uk/centre.htm

spire

To the point
simon l& and a half said:
ooh, goody.. Cab and Tdrinka can ride tandem. Patrick Stewart can drool over Arch. User can nail the jelly that is the brain of Bonj to the wall. Spire and Simoncc can stand in the corner. Flying Monkey (BA Hons.) can enlighten us. I'll just hope to survive.

There's only one place to meet. London. Easy to get to. Decent restaurants. Interesting people. I'm proposing the evening of April 17th - the Thursday before Easter. We'll make a night of it. :tongue:

Patrick Stevens will be most upset about this.

Looking forward to seeing Simon 1.5 strike poses (they used to call them "attitudes" in Victorian times). I understand that this is his one talent.

The ride should be in Leicestershire:tongue:

Using the Ordnance Survey's Gravitational Method of mapping, the BBC discovered Meriden is no longer the centre of England. Instead, it is pinpointed to a small farm near the town of Fenny Drayton in Leicestershire.

There are many ways to define the geographic centre of an irregular shaped object such as the UK land mass.

The method the BBC adopted is the one preferred by the Ordnance Survey, known as the Gravitational or Centre-of-gravity method.

To put it simply, in this method a computer is used to find the point at which a cardboard cut-out of the country could be balanced on the tip of a pencil - its centre of gravity.

The calculations used in determining the centre of gravity also takes into account the nation's many small islands.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Now, I'll regret mentioning this, when someone steals the idea and does it first, but I fancy visiting all the various 'centres' and writing a book about them. You know, a lightly comic travelogue in a Bill Bryson style. It's just one of a number of ideas for such a book I have, all just waiting for when I have the time and money to do the actual travel.

And I guess as the east coast washes away, and the Mersey silts up, the centre will keep moving....

Arch

Married to Night Train
Arch is our very own Tony Hawk. Want to borrow a fridge?

Only if it's very little and lightweight....

I reckon I have 3 or 4 ideas, I did think of voyaging around the shipping forecast, a few years ago, but some one beat me to it (and a very good book it is too)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Did you watch Three Men in (another) Boat?

Yes, I did (well, I saw most of it, I was on the phone for some of it). That was a lovely yacht. Made me think I'd like to learn to sail, but then there are so many things I'd like to learn to do....

Top Bottom