Is There Gonna Be a CC meet up ......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pete

Arch said:
Now, I'll regret mentioning this, when someone steals the idea and does it first, but I fancy visiting all the various 'centres' and writing a book about them. You know, a lightly comic travelogue in a Bill Bryson style. It's just one of a number of ideas for such a book I have, all just waiting for when I have the time and money to do the actual travel.
Arch, if you're really into this sort of thing (although quite honestly I don't think you're 'sad' enough) - well you might be interested in this project. Alas, most of the 'confluences' in Europe have already been 'done' - the nearest one to me is only a few miles away on the edge of Ashdown Forest.

There was another site in which the project was, to visit - and take a photo whilst in - every National Grid 1Km square in the UK. When I last looked there were still a few squares left to 'claim'. I'll see if I can find the link to that.

Edit: found it:
http://www.geograph.org.uk/

Arch said:
You know, a lightly comic travelogue in a Bill Bryson style. It's just one of a number of ideas for such a book I have, all just waiting for when I have the time and money to do the actual travel.

Is he the chap who wrote about walking in the Appalachians and then admitted that he'd only walked a few little bits of it and made the rest up?

I look forward to "Swimming round the World" by Arch. :biggrin:

spire

To the point
Patrick Stevens said:
I look forward to "Swimming round the World" by Arch. :smile:

Or

"How I learned to love Star Trek"

(See post 47 and contain your jealousy!)

Will1985

Über Member
Aperitif said:
Yeah - good idea...shall we put it to Will when he gets back from the Bahamas? :smile:

I wasn't abroad this time, but I was in London which is quite a foreign place to me!

I remember the idea way back in the day on C+, and it would be a good idea but where is the money coming from to buy a jersey? CycleChat isn't quite the business that C+ was....

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I'm dubious about Birmingham (got dumped by a boy from Cannock ages ago and haven't yet forgiven the Midlands). Northumberland (centre of Britain) is fab for cycling...but don't forget your very own Yorkshire Dales...glorious countryside and fab cakes. Peak District equally beautiful, albeit hilly.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Those of us who have a go could chip in.

We'd need to gauge the interest first.

I could do Brum to Worcester for example. Who is it that lives in Worcester?

I live in Worcestershire, about 10 miles from Worcester, not telling exactly where until I know what you are going to ask me.:smile:

Ab Chandler also lives in Worcestershire and I would suggest that he knows much more about cycling than I do.:cry:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I think we're at cross purposes.

This thread started with the idea of a meet. Then I cheekily entered the idea that we ride a CC jersey around the uk, signing it as we go.

The theory would be, in my example, that I meet someone with the jersey in Brum, and deliver it to someone in Worcester, who takes it on the next leg. And so on.

No, we weren't at cross purposes :smile: I knew you were going to ask me something about cycling, but thought it would be about the best route etc.:smile:
I would not be able to undertake a leg of that journey. Would you like to ask Mr Ab Chandler.

bonj2

I think we're at cross purposes.

This thread started with the idea of a meet. Then I cheekily entered the idea that we ride a CC jersey around the uk, signing it as we go.

The theory would be, in my example, that I meet someone with the jersey in Brum, and deliver it to someone in Worcester, who takes it on the next leg. And so on.

what, ALL through cycling? :smile: :smile:

bonj2

well the main effort'd be planning the route! this site could be of use: http://www.frappr.com/

photos would have to be taken of the handover, and posted in a thread which would accumulate with photos of the jersey which would have ever more signatures on.

Top Bottom