Is this a motoring offence?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
Our parked car just got hit my an empty, running car, drivers door open.

The driver had stopped the car, left the engine running and not put the hand brake on, got out and the car rolled over the road into ours.

I'm reporting it online and I don't know whether this is an offence or not..."Yes - an offence led to the collision"....?

Ta

shirokazan

Veteran
Would have thought so: failure to control the vehicle.

TVC

If only there were Police Officers on the forum who could tell you. Offence or not, I suspect that the Police will just leave it to the insurance companies to sort out as there are no injuries.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Reported. The website states that they won't prosecute because I don't have an independent witness.

Some might think it's a waste of time, but if our car hadn't been parked where it was the car would've run up onto the pavement putting pedestrians at risk.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Now I have to decide whether to make a claim or not. Low speed, no scratches on the bumper.

My buddy had thousands of pounds of work to do to his car once because during an exception they noticed the crumple points on the numbers had collapsed, and they wouldn't release the car as safe to drive until he had it fixed. He wasn't even aware someone had hit his car!

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
they won't prosecute because I don't have an independent witness.

No witness at all or no independent witness?

Dan B

Disengaged member
Now I have to decide whether to make a claim or not.
I would.

- if the other driver is fully comp and has damaged their car, they may want to claim against their own insurance - their insurers may then want to talk to yours, best to get your version of events in first
- if the police aren't going to prosecute, at least lesson in loss of NCD/renewals hike might concentrate the drivers' mind to not be so dumb again. And perhaps even to tell his friends

AndyRM

XOXO
Never heard about this unattended car running thing before. I assume it's worse if you've left your child in the car as you nip back inside to pick up your door pass for work?

Top Bottom