Is this a motoring offence?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shirokazan

Veteran
Motoring offences are criminal offences. They usually attract a different procedure, at least for the lesser offences or as the starting place for proceedings .e. points on the licence.

Reactions: mjr

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The driver of the other car has committed the offence of "quitting" If that offence still exists.

I would certainly make a claim
as you have all the drivers details and he is at fault.

As an ex policeman these type of scenarios interest me as they are unusual. I think this is still classed as an RTA as the part of thedefinition used to say. "Owing the prescence of a motor vehicle on a road, damage is caused". It did not state that the vehicle had to be attended or even have the motor running.

I would consult a solicitor and make a claim. We are just guessing on here and the law can be an ass.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Back to the claim; somebody who works in motor insurance once told me: "If you have a small fender-bender and you decide not to claim, do NOT tell your insurance company because even if you don't claim they will mark you down as an accident magnet and your premium will increase. I didn't tell you that, by the way."

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Yeah, the only thing is that I need something to claim damages for. Mental anguish might be a stretch. ;)

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Back to the claim; somebody who works in motor insurance once told me: "If you have a small fender-bender and you decide not to claim, do NOT tell your insurance company because even if you don't claim they will mark you down as an accident magnet and your premium will increase. I didn't tell you that, by the way."

A big risk to take, especially if you then lie at renewal when asked if you've had any accidents or claims.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
You've scraped a bumper and paid a chap to repaint it? Hardly an accident.

Good luck trying to argue that with an insurer.

vickster

Legendary Member
Just be aware that making a claim will likely bump up your premiums for the next 3-5 years even if not your fault (and with a protected NCB). However, you are obliged to report to your insurers regardless.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
However, you are obliged to report to your insurers regardless.

Obliged to, and yet often, you'd be daft to. It's a real catch 22. I had a lorry clip my parked (unattended) car some years ago at the back of my house, in a private car park and not even on a public road. The driver just buggered off and I discovered the damage just as he was disappearing round the corner. I called my insurer and enquired if I had to report it, stating that it was my intention not to claim since I had no chance of identifying the lorry driver and therefore of recovering the cost. They assured me it wouldn't count against me and that they'd better take the details, just for their records.

Lo and behold, at renewal time I found I had an "at fault" accident recorded against me and it screwed my insurance premiums for years. I asked them to explain "at fault" when I'm not even in the vehicle, and they said that of course it must be recorded as that, since no-one else could be held responsible so it had to go down as my fault.
I literally may as well have driven recklessly into someone on purpose, I'd have been no worse off in the eyes of the insurer. They really are the worst kind of c*nts.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Quite. I've now been shunted twice by other cars since (very minor thankfully), and I've not reported either one. It's worse than a waste of time to inform your insurer, it's actually hugely counterproductive and can be horrendously expensive, no matter if you didn't claim, and certainly no matter that you could not have possibly been at fault (for example where your car was safely and legally parked at the time).

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
I asked our insurers specifically if this notification would affect our premiums, he said

"It won't affect your no claims bonus."

"That's interesting, but I asked about our premiums."

"You weren't at fault so it won't affect your no claims bonus."

"I hear you, but I'm not making a claim am I? By giving you this notification will we have to pay more for our insurance?"

"Erm, it may affect the cost of insurance but not by much."

<sigh>

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom