Is this carbon seat mast damage a concern?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

New bikie

Regular
Hi guys,

I bought TCR SL1 2020 a couple of weeks ago. When I got home I realized the (integrated) seat mast was poorly cut. In the picture I attached here there are 2 things that concern me:

1. It seems some carbon has been chipped (I notice this by running my finger nail over the edge) in the circle I drew on the left,
2. There seems to be a gap/void between layers shown in the circle I drew on the right. When I press with my finger from the inside of the tube, I can see the carbon layer moving.

I spoke to the shop but they seem very hard to work with. I asked for warranty but no luck so far. Do you think these damages are a concern and will they become worse over time? Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Attachments

• 20200803_150616.png
    20200803_150616.png
    144.8 KB · Views: 19

si_c

Guru
I would have thought that it would delaminate over time - I'd contact Giant directly if the shop aren't being helpful.

Reactions: C R

Milkfloat

An Peanut
As above if it was new then I would be demanding a replacement. If it was secondhand then I would recut it properly to neaten it up.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
They are very definitely a concern. Legally your contract of sale is with the shop so I would return it to them as not fit for purpose, ask for your money back or a replacement. that should make them sit up. Leave it in their shop, that will put the ball squarely in their court.
If you paid by CC you could claim your money back, then there’s the small claims court. I don’t think it would come to that a s the shop would hopefully want to sort it for you.
Sorry, it’s very dispiriting having to deal with something like this on a new bike.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R
OP
OP
N

New bikie

Regular
They are very definitely a concern. Your contract of sale is with the shop so I would return it to them as not fit for purpose, that should make them sit up .
If you paid by CC you could claim your money back, then there’s the small claims court. I don’t think it would come to that a s the shop would hopefully want to sort it for you.
Sorry, it’s very dispiriting having to deal with something like this on a new bike.
Thanks mate. What is CC?
Is this a concern from a structural point of view or just cosmetic?

Heigue'r

Veteran
If you are confident in cutting yourself,that is what I would do,junior hacksaw and 22 tpi was what I used on my own,5 mins of gently sawing away and it was a nice clean cut.the seatpost can take up to 25mm of spacers so if you are not running any allready(should be running a 1 or 2mm one according to instructions).I know you should not have to do this on a brand new bike and the shop have made a terrible job of it for sure but it can be fixed.I would not leave it in the state it is in though.You should get a cutting jig in the bits and pieces that come with the bike which would make it easier allthough my frame did not come with it so I cut it freehand.

OP
OP
N

New bikie

Regular
If you are confident in cutting yourself,that is what I would do,junior hacksaw and 22 tpi was what I used on my own,5 mins of gently sawing away and it was a nice clean cut.the seatpost can take up to 25mm of spacers so if you are not running any allready(should be running a 1 or 2mm one according to instructions).I know you should not have to do this on a brand new bike and the shop have made a terrible job of it for sure but it can be fixed.I would not leave it in the state it is in though.You should get a cutting jig in the bits and pieces that come with the bike which would make it easier allthough my frame did not come with it so I cut it freehand.
Thanks mate. It looks like I may need to cut 20mm of the seat mast to correct for the damage. But will that affect the resale price if i decide to sell one day?

Also if i leave it in the state it is, would it get worse over time? I have also noticed this gap between layers and i think the gap extends lower into the tube which means once i cut it i will still have this void..

Cycleops

Legendary Member
CC is credit card, you may have some protection under that.
Can't say I'm no expert, doesn't look good to me, but you need to find out.

si_c

Guru
Thanks mate. It looks like I may need to cut 20mm of the seat mast to correct for the damage. But will that affect the resale price if i decide to sell one day?

Also if i leave it in the state it is, would it get worse over time? I have also noticed this gap between layers and i think the gap extends lower into the tube which means once i cut it i will still have this void..
Cutting that much will presumably screw up your ability to get the saddle height right, and yes it will impact resale value.

Heigue'r

Veteran

It depends on how much has been cut allready re resale value..eg my one I first cut 20mm off the full height and then after a few weeks cut another 10mm and added 3mm of spacers...my saddle is still quite high and I would expect to be able to sell it to anyone between 5'8 to 5'11 ish...if you have allready had say over 50mm cut off it and are going to take another 20mm off,it makes the bike suited to less people so less chance of selling possibly.It doesnt look like you need to take as much as 20mm off from the pics....If it is as much as 20mm..then I would probably take the advice given above and push for a replacement to be honest.

Top Bottom