Is this carbon seat mast damage a concern?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Nothing i can see on a Giant TCR SL1 suggests it has a seat tube that is part of the frame, looks like a regular (removable) seat tube to me. And if that is correct then it's a simple case of replacing that seat tube, postage cost shouldn't be too much for your bike shop as they screwed it up.

Drago

Legendary Member
Thanks guys. I live 1800km from the shop i bought the bike from as i live remotely. I spoke to them and emailed them but they claim they spoke to giant and shown them my pictures and how it's not structural damage and its all good. The fact is that carbon has been chipped which i repeated to them multiple times. In the conversation i had with them yesterday they said how they're thinking about this and trying to find a solution and they'll get back to me. I dont think they will.
They're correct, it's not structural. It's extremely unlikely to crack, fray or break. Its solely a cosmetic issue, and that alone would give you campgrounds tonreject it, at least here in Blighty it would.

OP
OP
N

New bikie

Regular
Thanks heaps guys. The shop finally accepted to replace the bike. However i need you cover the shipping costs ($aud280) and wait up to 1-4 months due to low stock and the warranty process. They said as the giant gives life time warranty, i will be able to replace the bike if anything goes wrong anytime in the future. They also said how they showed my pictures to giant and they said my bike isn't structurally damaged.

Maybe a better idea to keep the bike?

OP
OP
N

New bikie

Regular
They're correct, it's not structural. It's extremely unlikely to crack, fray or break. Its solely a cosmetic issue, and that alone would give you campgrounds tonreject it, at least here in Blighty it would.
Thanks mate. Are you saying it's not structural even though carbon has been chipped? As shown in the picture, there are some carbon fibres cut (where that white area is in the picture).

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Thanks heaps guys. The shop finally accepted to replace the bike. However i need you cover the shipping costs ($aud280) and wait up to 1-4 months due to low stock and the warranty process. They said as the giant gives life time warranty, i will be able to replace the bike if anything goes wrong anytime in the future. They also said how they showed my pictures to giant and they said my bike isn't structurally damaged.

Maybe a better idea to keep the bike?

Warranty from Giant will not cover that butchering. It was done by the shop, so Giant will quite rightly refuse any claim. Can you confirm that it is just the seatpost affected or the whole frame? In other words do you have the SL1 or the SL1 Advanced?

1596534678943.png

1596534693161.png

If you have the first bike, then they can send just the seatpost, if it is the second then it is new frame time.
I would not accept having to pay shipping for their screw up, I would be expecting either a new seatpost or new frame 100% at their cost. If it takes 4 months then fine, but I would want to keep riding the bike until they get the new parts in.

si_c

Guru
I wouldn't be happy paying the shipping for their screw up. Regardless return the bike and get a frame that has been finished properly.

vickster

Legendary Member
Bike is TCR Advanced SL1 Disc 2020
So the bottom one with integrated seat post. New bike time then. I wouldn’t even accept a frameset as it’s brand new and why should you have the aggro of getting the bike rebuilt? Check what your consumer rights are in Oz

dodgy

Bike is TCR Advanced SL1 Disc 2020

Thanks, your original post set some of us the wrong path, you didn't mention Advanced.

So it has an ISP (Integrated Seat Post) and that makes all the difference. Since it's absolutely normal to trim an ISP before riding, do you have to do this or is the current trim perfect for your size? If trimming it further would make the frame (or technically seat) too low, then I'd be sending it back.

OP
OP
N

New bikie

Regular
Thanks, your original post set some of us the wrong path, you didn't mention Advanced.

So it has an ISP (Integrated Seat Post) and that makes all the difference. Since it's absolutely normal to trim an ISP before riding, do you have to do this or is the current trim perfect for your size? If trimming it further would make the frame (or technically seat) too low, then I'd be sending it back.
I can trim it further because i can use spacers that guide me extra 25mm in height. However that would make it harder to sell the bike i believe.

OP
OP
N

New bikie

Regular
So the bottom one with integrated seat post. New bike time then. I wouldn’t even accept a frameset as it’s brand new and why should you have the aggro of getting the bike rebuilt? Check what your consumer rights are in Oz
If it's just cosmetic i don't really care. However structural issue would worry me.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Whilst getting a new one is an option, you want to ride this bike, and you want to ride it now. Getting a local shop to cut it with care, losing 10mm, would allow that. This slight reduction in residual seat post may mean a slightly reduced buyer base if/when you come to sell it but provided you haven't got proportionately really short legs, that might be worth accepting (as opposed to a month without the bike). I guess it depends what your current ride is and how much leaping on this expensive stead NOW, will make a difference to your life, with spring not far round the corner.

OP
OP
N

New bikie

Regular
Whilst getting a new one is an option, you want to ride this bike, and you want to ride it now. Getting a local shop to cut it with care, losing 10mm, would allow that. This slight reduction in residual seat post may mean a slightly reduced buyer base if/when you come to sell it but provided you haven't got proportionately really short legs, that might be worth accepting (as opposed to a month without the bike). I guess it depends what your current ride is and how much leaping on this expensive stead NOW, will make a difference to your life, with spring not far round the corner.
Thanks mate. We only have one shop 300km away and they have never cut these ISPs neither they would have the cutting guides required for that job. I suppose another option i have is just to keep it as it is and ride it and in case it gets worse - claim the warranty.

Top Bottom