Is this carbon seat mast damage a concern?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
You might be able to 'do a deal' with the supplying store for some money back. Personally, I would not be happy to just accept things as they are - they did a terrible job and are expecting you to pay the consequences. For sure Giant would not offer warranty for anything that does go wrong around that area - so they are bullshitting you already. Cutting those posts is easy, I have done many so they have no excuse. I don't think it will fall to pieces, but you resale value has gone down. I am less concerned by the chips but more by the white line heading down the post - is that just paint damage or is it worse?

OP
OP
N

New bikie

Regular
You might be able to 'do a deal' with the supplying store for some money back. Personally, I would not be happy to just accept things as they are - they did a terrible job and are expecting you to pay the consequences. For sure Giant would not offer warranty for anything that does go wrong around that area - so they are bullshitting you already. Cutting those posts is easy, I have done many so they have no excuse. I don't think it will fall to pieces, but you resale value has gone down. I am less concerned by the chips but more by the white line heading down the post - is that just paint damage or is it worse?
Thanks buddy, appreciate your comments. You mean the white line outside of the circles i drew? Im pretty sure that's just a crack in the paint. I was mostly worried about the carbon chip. The void in the circle on the right i believe was there prior to making the cut. Not sure though.

The shop said today that if anything goes wrong in this or any other area of the frame, it will be covered by warranty. They accepted for me to return the bike and claim warranty but its going to be a long process leaving me without a bike to ride :sad:

You think they are bullshitting about the warranty?

vickster

Legendary Member
I’d check on the warranty directly with Giant Oz and get them to confirm that any frame issues still have the warranty cover despite the butchery of the post!

If it’s a bike shop that currently sells Giant rather than a Specific manufacturer branded Giant Store, who’s to know what might happen if the store goes bust or switches to sell other brands which happens?

you need confirmation from Giant directly in writing

OP
OP
N

New bikie

Regular
I’d check on the warranty directly with Giant Oz and get them to confirm that any frame issues still have the warranty cover despite the butchery of the post!

If it’s a bike shop that currently sells Giant rather than a Specific manufacturer branded Giant Store, who’s to know what might happen if the store goes bust or switches to sell other brands which happens?

The problem is that on their official website, Giant reffer customers directly to a retailer supplier. There is no direct contact with Giant.

OP
OP
N

New bikie

Regular

I can't believe the replacement may take up to 4 months, its just way too long :sad:

OP
OP
N

New bikie

Regular
Hence the wait
I'm thinking, if they accepted to replace the bike now with the slight damage, they should also accept that in x amount of time if the damage gets worse? Also, in time, if the damage becomes structural, shouldnt giant accept is it as well because the root cause of failure (if a crack develops) would be unclear and not easily related to the poor cutting process?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Buy a cheaper bike to ride (say 1/10th of what you paid for this one) and go through the return/replace process now. Even if the frame remains fine (ie it's not structural and doesn't deteriorate), the resale value of the frame/bike will be significantly less than one where the seatpost has been cut neatly/professionally. And that's a 'hit' you don't want, need or deserve to take.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
You think they are bullshitting about the warranty?
Cast iron guarantee. The shop may say that they will look after you in the future, but Giant will not warranty anything in that area as they will rightly claim it left them in good condition and has been screwed up by the shop. Will the shop be around in a few years time and will they honour what they have written now? This is something you want sorting now or you won't be able to get it sorted in the future. If the frame is not structurally screwed right now, then I don't think it will get much worse.

Options I would accept:
1.) Return bike at their expense for a full refund.
2.) They order a new frame in and you ride this until it is ready and then they swap all components for you.
3.) A percentage discount for you to 'go away' and live with it - I would expect at an absolute minimum 10%

Ajax Bay

Guru
I'd consider option 4: Return the bike and allow them to cut it correctly and return it to you, provided that losing 10mm will still allow you to have your seat at the highest you're likely to need/want. I can't see a bike shop offering 10% of the considerable cost price, but who knows?

OP
OP
N

New bikie

Regular
Hey guys, a shop owner forwarded me this email from Giant sales agent:

"I have discussed this with our warranty department after viewing the image and it is our opinion that there is no warranty claim here. Noted that there is some paint chipping and carbon fraying around where the post has been cut but this is not a manufacturing defect. It is also not a structural issue.

As far as this affecting any further warranty claim on the bike, it will not. We look at all warranty claims on their merit individually so this will not have any bearing on future decisions if they arise."

Good enough? My only concern is that the individual didn't have @giant.com in his signature as he is a giant sales agent. However I spoke to the shop owner and he again confirmed over the phone that if i have any issues in future he will cover me.

vickster

Legendary Member
Hey guys, a shop owner forwarded me this email from Giant sales agent:

"I have discussed this with our warranty department after viewing the image and it is our opinion that there is no warranty claim here. Noted that there is some paint chipping and carbon fraying around where the post has been cut but this is not a manufacturing defect. It is also not a structural issue.

As far as this affecting any further warranty claim on the bike, it will not. We look at all warranty claims on their merit individually so this will not have any bearing on future decisions if they arise."

Good enough? My only concern is that the individual didn't have @giant.com in his signature as he is a giant sales agent. However I spoke to the shop owner and he again confirmed over the phone that if i have any issues in future he will cover me.
Has he apologised for cocking up the cutting? Is the post actually the right length for you?

Top Bottom