Is this good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NEO

Thats decent stats mate i just got back into it and i managed 11 miles in an hour at an average of 10.1 mph but im 45 so was pleased with it. if it gets me fitter then i'll just keep pushing.:bicycle:

OP
OP
Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander

Veteran
11 miles in 45 mins is good mate, I done 9.6m in 42 mins this morning, going to have a rest tomorrow and maybe try and do 20 miles tuesday or wednesday

OP
OP
Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander

Veteran
Quick update, thought I would actually push myself yesterday, 9.8 miles in 38.22 seconds. Average speed was 14mph. Getting better I think. Thats including a uphill road that really isnt suited for a CX bike so all in all pretty pleased/

How old are you, how fit are you, etc. all questions that need answering before I would comment about the speed. If you enjoyed it then hopefully you will ride more often and if is your desire may even get quicker.
I think this is irrelevant as everyone's first ride is going to be slow if they have not been on a bike for a while, it's better than my first ride 8 miles or so @ 9.8 mph, these days I avg just under 16mph no matter what the ride I do around here, admittedly it's not the hilliest area, but I did record 62ft/mile yesterday, I only started in June 2012. if the bike was some 5kg's light imagine how much easier those hill would be.
I will be 50 in Feb.

Last edited:
maybe a tailwind!?

Possibly. Think of the strava KoMs you would get with that... ^_^

Schooner

Looking good man. I used to ride around there as a youngster. Happy memories of sunny Sundays in my Kas top. Looks like this weekend will be lovely for similar fun.

screenman

Legendary Member
I think this is irrelevant as everyone's first ride is going to be slow if they have not been on a bike for a while, it's better than my first ride 8 miles or so @ 9.8 mph, these days I avg just under 16mph no matter what the ride I do around here, admittedly it's not the hilliest area, but I did record 62ft/mile yesterday, I only started in June 2012. if the bike was some 5kg's light imagine how much easier those hill would be.
I will be 50 in Feb.

I will have to disagree with you on this one. A 25 year old fit person I would hope would go faster even on a first ride than a 50 year old 30 stoner who has never been on a bike before.

I cannot remember my first ride so I have no idea of the speed I did, now I am considerable older than you and my average is normally about 17mph a bit slower than it used to be, knackered knee's and all that malarkey however less time on the bike means more time swimming for me which is benefiting nicely.

I will have to disagree with you on this one. A 25 year old fit person I would hope would go faster even on a first ride than a 50 year old 30 stoner who has never been on a bike before.

I cannot remember my first ride so I have no idea of the speed I did, now I am considerable older than you and my average is normally about 17mph a bit slower than it used to be, knackered knee's and all that malarkey however less time on the bike means more time swimming for me which is benefiting nicely.
Yes but a first ride will be slow no matter who it is.
I only re-started cycling last year after nearly 2 decades without any consistent cycling, and at speeds above 15-16mph bike weight and starts to play a part, as does many factors, if your riding a bike 3Kg's less than mine ect, converse if your riding one heavier.

screenman

Legendary Member
Yes the first ride will be slow but the OP was asking what we thought of his numbers, for a 75 year old biggie they would have been great, for a 25 year old fit guy less so.

First proper jaunt and this is the stats, are they any good

Miles - 15.8
Time - 1hr 19 mins
Average speed 12.1mph

Nice wee route, gorebridge to Bonnyrigg and then to Penicuik via cycle path and then to fairmilehead

Been thinking about this thread - and the many others like it. When people ask 'is this any good?' they never ask for a comparison.

"Is this any good compared to a pro rider?" Well, no.
"Is this any good for someone who is new to cycling and with no major medical issues?" Well, yes - it's within the margins of what you might expect for a beginner, depending on their weight and general fitness level.

First rides do not need any validation other than "Did I enjoy it?" and "Do I want to do it again?"

Top Bottom