Is this REALLY a bargain ??????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
The Boardman Hybrid Comp from Halfords now available at £360 .
Is it a bargain and how does it compare to the Specialized Sirrus Sport Disc at £240 more ???
Narrowed it down to these two bikes as there are just so many out there I am getting confused !
I do about 2500 miles a year commuting on road and maybe 300 miles a year on the canals cycling with my daughter (stopping off at the local boozer on the way back :laugh: )
What worries me about the Boardman is the Halfrauds element of it !!!
I MAY be able to get a bit knocked off for cash from the LBS on the Specialized and they will probably take my Kona Dew City Hybrid in part exchange too .......

I nearly bought one of those last year. Didn't find a better bike just went for a mountain bike instead.

Good frame, avid brakes, nice rims with width and eyelets, looks smart. Was light.
BB

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Tempted to go for it but would love to use my LBS for the Specialized and KNOW that I will get good after sales service .......
Decisions , decisions .......

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

If only Boardman didn't only sell through Halfrauds .....
Its the Bilston branch I would use, they have let me down before ....

matiz

Guru
Ive had my boardman comp for well over a year now and ride it about 10 to 15 miles a day had no problems at all ,they are well screwed together and good value

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
a bargain is only a bargain if its something you want

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

The LBS will service in future ,thats for sure, but I was wondering what Halfrauds would cock up on the initial set up!
Just been in and the lads in the Bilston branch DO seem very knowledgeable but we shall see.
Going to join BC and then order. Might go for the MX sport now, not sure.....
Heavier/slower but happier with the wider Schwalbe tyres and you get suspension

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

I may do. The guy I spoke to seemed ok, like I say, I will give him a chance!
He did say he knows all about their reputation and assured me I was in safe hands .... :smile:

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Going for the Hybrid Comp as I will rarely use the suspension! Last question, will I be able to get wider tyres on it as I am not keen on the thinner 700 x 28?
I am sure the guy said for £50 he could change them to Gators ,when I said I would like some puncture protection, but he didn't say if they were any wider?

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
What surfaces are you riding on? 28mm aren't skinny if riding on roads :smile:. Might be able to get 32s, but might affect your ability to fit full mudguards. ask the guy at Halfords

If riding off road, the other bike may be better

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I ride 700x28c Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres and they will take you over everything without punctures. They are not MTB tyres but they are good for everything else.

I have used them on every surface you can think of and they are excellent.

Top Bottom