Is This Site Faking New Members And Their Posts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Just shows from the responses I have had that members are usually very helpful
Except mine, which are unabashed drivel.

DRHysted

Guru
Good evening,

I think that the title is pretty self explanatory.

If you go onto the internet there are many suppliers offering to post on a forum for a fee.

There are some posts here where the OP is clearly interested in answers to their question and many posts that appear to me to be nothing more than create and keep the thread going.

There is nothing wrong with the site owners throwing out one liners that start a thread as long as they are clear who they are.

But are members wasting their time responding to questions that the poster doesn't care about?

Kind Regards

Ian Smith

why would they do it on a fairly busy forum and not on the running forum which generally has one or two posts a month?

NightCruiser

There was this thread https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/anquetil.256500/
which really caught my interest, the OP joined, posted on the same day and not seen since!
This is exactly the kind of posters to keep an eye on. So far I have only seen once in a forum that the user community reacted correctly by reporting the guy to the admin immediately. If after several helpful answers and specific counter-questions there is no reaction after 72 hours, the thread should be blocked immediately and the uncooperative participant removed from the forum with a ban-kick. Of course, the IP address is then also blacklisted. Such people abuse the helpfulness of well-meaning members because they think the forum is a kind of black box, where you just drop questions at the top and the answers come out automatically at the bottom. Under these circumstances absolutely nobody benefits from it!

Unfortunately, however, such cases are rather ignored than someone takes the trouble to ensure that the user community is spared from such subjects. By the way, no, I'm not a bot, not a mindless sock puppet with a dozen IP addresses, and not a troll either. I am definitely real! :thanks:

classic33

Leg End Member
This is exactly the kind of posters to keep an eye on. So far I have only seen once in a forum that the user community reacted correctly by reporting the guy to the admin immediately. If after several helpful answers and specific counter-questions there is no reaction after 72 hours, the thread should be blocked immediately and the uncooperative participant removed from the forum with a ban-kick. Of course, the IP address is then also blacklisted. Such people abuse the helpfulness of well-meaning members because they think the forum is a kind of black box, where you just drop questions at the top and the answers come out automatically at the bottom. Under these circumstances absolutely nobody benefits from it!

Unfortunately, however, such cases are rather ignored than someone takes the trouble to ensure that the user community is spared from such subjects. By the way, no, I'm not a bot, not a mindless sock puppet with a dozen IP addresses, and not a troll either. I am definitely real! :thanks:
And there's times when the person comes on, posts, and then finds out they've posted on a UK forum.

vickster

Legendary Member
One can only hope that such persons will soon overcome this traumatizing experience. :laugh:
Or even traumatising :whistle:

raleighnut

Legendary Member

I dunno sometimes we just take threads and 'run with them' it doesn't seem to matter if the OP comes back or not the thread can be informative and entertaining anyway. :becool:

And there's times when the person comes on, posts, and then finds out they've posted on a UK forum.

Some of our nicest members are 'non UK' residents.

Or forgets they have already posted a question on here and posts it again sometime later. A few times I have been saved from this by, before posting a dumb technical question, doing a quick google and finding myself on here.
By the by, I don't see anything wrong with posting a question - particularly if urgent - on more than one forum. They can have different membership profiles. Not counting argumentative stuff of course.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Good evening,

I think that the title is pretty self explanatory.

If you go onto the internet there are many suppliers offering to post on a forum for a fee.

There are some posts here where the OP is clearly interested in answers to their question and many posts that appear to me to be nothing more than create and keep the thread going.

There is nothing wrong with the site owners throwing out one liners that start a thread as long as they are clear who they are.

But are members wasting their time responding to questions that the poster doesn't care about?

Kind Regards

Ian Smith

I love this, it's so meta, CC is now generating its own conspiracy theories :becool:

Like it's own weather systems..

I'm going to start dreaming up new personas, and irrisistable, yet obscure bike related, kwestchuns now.

Anyhow, there's no such thing as 'wasting time' answering a query, if it tickles your fancy.. :blush:

I wasn't aware this happened.
On another site I'm a member of there were clearly people who posted just to stir things up.
Brexit was the worse. I'd never have believed it could have been mentioned in so many threads that were nothing to do with politics.
Common here actually.
I have awarded a few gongs for gratuitous brexit references on all sorts of threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom