Is this the UK's most dangerous zebra crossing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Not much of an argument when we broadly agree, but what did the poor pedestrian do to deserve your scorn?

Collateral damage tbh :tongue:

Seemed that most of the non-drivers involved in the video were cyclists riding on the pavement..

Surely we must be able to agree on something to disagree about..? :laugh:

icowden

Veteran
Collateral damage tbh :tongue:

Seemed that most of the non-drivers involved in the video were cyclists riding on the pavement..

Surely we must be able to agree on something to disagree about..? :laugh:

Looks like it is now being investigated...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-63723215

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Why are they wasting money investigating?

Put Police officers there & convict the drivers who don't know the rules, along with the cyclists on the pavement, it's kin simple.
But that would be "entrapment" and "war on the motorist" waah waah waah.

Why does that argument seem to work for criminal motorists, but no-one is saying police should no longer go where & when lots of crimes are typically reported because that wouldn't be fair on those criminals? There are no newspaper headlines about "war on the nightclubber" when the police vans deploy to the strip every Saturday night.

Jameshow

Veteran
If it’s Bradford it’s just par for the course, bad driving, all the time, round Manningham it’s a constant wail of sirens from panda cars

I drove past lister park yesterday thinking phew I'm home again!!

Reactions: DRM

notmyrealnamebutclose

zebra-crossing.jpg

This is the correct way to use a zebra crossing

Mike_P

Guru
Bradford really is a lesson on how not to manage roads. You either have traffic lights so frequent that the second set can be mistaken as being part of the first set or busy junctions just with a give way and a queue of traffic trying to turn out and many consequently flooring it to get into a minor gap in the traffic flow.

Dadam

Agreed it's an 'orrible place. Glad I'm able to avoid it most of the time. Only time I drive through it is when we go visit wife's sister's family.

Jameshow

Veteran
Bradford really is a lesson on how not to manage roads. You either have traffic lights so frequent that the second set can be mistaken as being part of the first set or busy junctions just with a give way and a queue of traffic trying to turn out and many consequently flooring it to get into a minor gap in the traffic flow.

Drove to Huddersfield and they have a decent ring road.

Saltaire needs a tunnel too beneath the world heritage site!

Alex321

Veteran
Why are they wasting money investigating?

Put Police officers there & convict the drivers who don't know the rules, along with the cyclists on the pavement, it's kin simple.

It isn't remotely simple, and they are right to be investigating.

While there is no doubt whatsoever that those drivers were seriously at fault, when it happens so often at one crossing, there is something not right in the design of the roads and/or crossing.

Just punishing those who have driven badly there isn't the answer to making it safer in the long term. They should of course be punished, but that won't significantly affect the likelihood of others doing similar. Maybe they need speed cameras, maybe they need a change to the speed limit, maybe speed bumps. I don't know, but something needs to change, and the investigation should give some indication as to what.,

icowden

Veteran
Yes it is simple, if they are incapable of yielding to people crossing on a pedestrian crossing they shouldn't have a license

Yes, but that isn't solving the problem. You don't fix problems by just looking at the damage being caused. If you have a leaking pipe, the solution is not to keep mopping it up. Of course you need the mop - but you also need to fix the pipe so that you no longer need to keep using the mop.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Yes, but that isn't solving the problem. You don't fix problems by just looking at the damage being caused. If you have a leaking pipe, the solution is not to keep mopping it up. Of course you need the mop - but you also need to fix the pipe so that you no longer need to keep using the mop.

I have once driven straight across a mini roundabout give way when it was immediately after a pedestrian crossing traffic light (on green), so design can cause mistakes.

But that said zebra crossing on the road is a pretty obvious thing, and at first sight nothing looks wrong a out its layout

D

Deleted member 26715

I see no issue with the placement of the crossing, it's the drivers which are at fault 100%, the cyclists should not be using them, but that does not give the drivers that right to simply ignore that fact.

Top Bottom