Is your partner as active as you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I cycle. Mr WD does a lot around rhe property, cutting grass, chopping trees for firewood. Chopping firewood. We have quite a lot of land, so that keeps him busy. He walks as well. He does not cycle. He tried our son's MTB a couple of years ago and decided it wasn't for him, so i go off on my own. I'm qite happy to do that.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
We both ride. I think we have done since we met. Last year she rode further than me, which I think was mainly one imperial century I missed through illness and some sportives which I didn't ride because of their rules so I did shorter distances "inside" the courses in an attempt to cheer her past a few times. The year before that, I rode further than her (an imperial century she missed due to work IIRC). It's probably to'ed and fro'd over the years but we didn't keep count so accurately before phones had GPS.

Debade

Über Member
We bike together for fitness as well as our touring trips. We also go to the same personal trainer a couple times of week. Different but similar workout. I will play team sports. I have played basketball for years and recently went back to ice hockey. She will hike and/or use a stationary cross country exerciser during the colder weather.

As we get older, we are both trying to keep our health since our vacations are often related to long bike trips. (We did walk the Camino de Santiago). Hopefully, we will have many years together touring.

PK99

Legendary Member
Just curious really to how it works with other couples. Do you all have partners with similar fitness levels/interests or is it not really an issue. Do you worry about their health or just leave them be?

We cycled Ventoux together last September and she has done the Pru London 100 twice.

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
My wife cycles though not as much as me. We have toured together a couple of times and we quite often go walking together. She plays Netball 1 or twice a week.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Nope. Not interested in anything that's not on the tele or in the shops.
She has an exercise bike that is used as a clothes horse.
I despair!

toffee

Guru
We usually cycle together, our holidays last year and this yesr are going cycle touring. She suggested at the weekend that we should try an Audax together so we pretty much do the same.

mustang1

Guru
My SO not as active but these days she's very disciplined in getting her small bit of workout routine done daily and without fail.

I am only active due to commuting by bike otherwise I'd be putting on serious weight (my weekends is chocolates and cakes whenever something goes wrong, which, in my line of work, is daily :smile:).

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
No afraid not and i wish she could be , but alas due to health reasons my other half can just about manage 15 - 20 mins of exercise at a time before collapsing in pain on a very good .

It was fantastic to manage some tandem rides along the local cycle paths where we did a maximum of 5 miles before being hit by the barrier that her health brings

Same here. Would love to share long bike rides, walking in the hills and ski-ing with her, but, sadly, never going to happen. On a good day, she's not in pain.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
SWMBO is an active runner (I'm a lapsed one).

I'm terrified that she'll sign up for another London Marathon as that would make four compared to my three, so I'd have to do it again too. :ohmy:

It's different. I'm definitely fitter and can cycle/walk/run further than she can. But she can keep going in general life far longer than I can in pretty much everything that matters.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Mrs Jeez is is one of those annoying types that cant sit still and is always active. She also helps run a local keep fit club 6 days/or nights a week which means doing at least one class a day...at least.

Up untill January, cycling was my only exercise, now I also swim 3 times a week and do a little light weights.

So my partner is more active than me right now. In the summer that returns around a little as my riding becomes more regular. In the winter, my weekend riding is rare.

Top Bottom