Isn't it nice when...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pete

..a following motorist, coming up behind you in a double-white line stretch, and can't overtake without crossing the lines, hangs back and waits for a safe place to overtake? This happens now and then: happened last night and I particularly noted the fact. He/she was well behind me, not clinging to my rear wheel and intimidating me. Many another motorist would have passed me, safe or not: the HC says you can legally pass if the cyclist is doing less than 10mph, but I was doing more than 10mph. But so many drivers just see a cyclist as he-who-must-be-overtaken whatever the conditions!

I nodded through the motorist a hundred or so yards further on where it was clear to overtake. And gave a palm-up 'thank you' gesture as he passed. It's little things like this that make one feel good about being a cyclist...

Keith Oates

Janner
Nice to hear a good story for a change, Pete, giving a thumbs up thankyou would have made him happy as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tynan

Veteran
it happens more than you think I think, my final proper check before moving across a lane invariably sees the car behind at a safe distance

it really is true that if you ride confidently and make your intentions clear with signals people play along willingly

I'm halfway through cyclecraft, good read, nothing earth shattering but good ethos and mindset

ChrisW

Yea, agree, it is surprising how most car drivers are actually careful an courteous. When they are i always give a wave of thanks...

It's the small minority whose balls i would like to see in a rusty mangle.. :eek:

Wonder if this will get edited out....

habibi

It's always nice when motorists play by the rules. These double white lines are there for a reason - I shake my head and sigh when they are ignored, but when they are ignored on a blind corner, i go totally mental. It happens far more often than it should - its only a bicycle, so normal rules don't apply seems to be the prevailing mentality.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
There are a small minority of advanced drivers out there, sadly it is only a small minority.:eek:

The rest just think they know it all and see no need to improve their driving, because they drove to a minimum safe standard for 30 minutes one day in their life and passed their test. As an ex-driving instructor I am am always appalled by the low standard of driving. :blush:

flycatcher

Coming through an area tonight where very narrow and twisting lanes a car was behind me for about half a mile, overtook me on a hill when when very safe to do so. Gave a wave and got a flash of rear lights back. Know exactly what you mean, should always be like this.

Emu

slightly OT but last night I was driving along a stretch of road with double white lines and ahead of me was a tram at a tram stop. I stopped and let a couple of cars come out from the left and they just overtook the tram. then 2 cars behind me overtook me to overtake the tram. I wonder why they thought I had stopped behind the tram. Oh, yeah my fault for obeying the highway code.

habibi

Often when I give way in order to facilitate the overall traffic flow, there is no wave of acknowledgement. I've concluded that they think i have yielded either out of abject fear, or to doff my cap to their inherently superior position in the assumed road hierarchy.

But as this thread is about those sentient motorists who are aware of the intent behind our friendly gestures, I say, good on them. I only wish there was a few more of them out there.

Top Bottom