Isn't WD40 great!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

...I just fixed my garage doors, the back gate lock, the front door handle and de creaked everything in the house....I didnt need to do it but it just has that addicitive thing going on...:biggrin:

longers

Legendary Member
Is it true that it got its name because formulations WD1,2,3,4,....14,15, .....21,22,23,24 ......33,34,35,36,37.38 and 39 didn't work?

Membrane

Bigtallfatbloke said:
Isn't WD40 great!

No. Its makers refuse to say what it is actually for, instead they claim it has 1001 applications. Sadly many have fallen for the old snake-oil sales trick mistakenly believing that it is a magical substance that can cure all mechanical ailments. Probably the most common of the misbeliefs is that it is a lubricant.

Membrane said:
No. Its makers refuse to say what it is actually for, instead they claim it has 1001 applications. Sadly many have fallen for the old snake-oil sales trick mistakenly believing that it is a magical substance that can cure all mechanical ailments. Probably the most common of the misbeliefs is that it is a lubricant.

What membrane said. And Its a water displacer, hence 'WD'. Useful for removing sticker glue from frames only.

Stick on a Giant said:
What is the difference between GT85 and WD40 - are they they same thing?

No they are not the same.

GT-85 contains PTFE which leaves a very thin residue on whatever you spray it on. It also disperses water, and leaves behind that protective coating.

Most importantly, GT-85 is safe on carbon, Ti, Al, Steel, won't perish rubber, doesn't damage paintwork and makes it easier to clean the crud off your bike the next time.

gbb

Legendary Member
The 1001 uses is pure hype, but WD IS good at certain things...we use it all the time at work.
Penetrating, water displaceing, SHORT term lubricating, short term metal protection, ...it is good.

Just dont expect any of its properties to last too long....but it never claims to be a long term anything.

One of the guys here has found the wierdest use i ever heard.....knee lubricant :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:
I'm not joking....he got real sore knees the other month in the garden. Sprayed the with WD..i never asked WHY WD..what possessed him....but he said it worked

Dont fancy it from a health perspective.....dont go too near the barbeque either :biggrin::biggrin:

bonj2

longers said:
Is it true that it got its name because formulations WD1,2,3,4,....14,15, .....21,22,23,24 ......33,34,35,36,37.38 and 39 didn't work?

correct. and WD stands for "Water Displacement".

Top Bottom