Issue with new bike purchase - not new but ex demo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have bought a bike - which was sold as new but having had it delivered I have realised its ex display and covered about 10 miles (the bicycle computer shows me that and there is mud in the tires).
However it was fairly priced and there are no other marks.

I realise I am being a bit precious but when I purchased it I was told it was new.

what would you do - I am inclined to keep it as it’s a faff sending it back etc.

Give whoever you got it from negative feedback.

Buck

Guru
Did you buy from a retailer?

if so I’d give them a call and explain your disappointment - new is new not nearly new but perhaps they gave it a test ride after setting it up?

If you are minded you could tell them you wish to return it and they will need to allow this. Alternatively, they may give you a goodwill gesture.

It all depends on how you feel about it all and whether you wish to take progress.

Smudge

Veteran
If this is the ebike you bought recently, i would not be happy about it being ex demonstrator. Unless you got it ridiculously cheap, which you didn't as i recall.
It was sold as discounted new, not a used ebike.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've no objection to buying ex-demo, in fact if I ever bought a car I would never buy new - let some other mug take the hit on the depreciation. But I'd expect a hefty reduction in the price.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've no objection to buying ex-demo, in fact if I ever bought a car I would never buy new - let some other mug take the hit on the depreciation. But I'd expect a hefty reduction in the price.
Which it sounds like he got. If all good, just keep it. Tyres will get muddy in winter immediately anyhow. Give them a call though, maybe you’ll get a freebie

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Ayway - you already said the bike was 'fairly' priced. So I don't see the issue.
If the bike was sold as new, but turned out to be misdescribed and was in reality ex-demonstrator/display/returned I would quite rightly be very unhappy.
If I want to buy new and pay good money expecting to receive new then anything else is not acceptable. Get on to the supplier and tell them they have described the goods wrongly and need to sort it out.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Looks like the bike has been tried around the block a few times as opposed to being part of a demo fleet for several months.

A bit cheeky by the retailer to describe it as 'new'.

Sending a lumpy ebike back will be a faff, leave you ebikeless, and you may have to start the purchase process over again if the retailer has no fresh stock.

A small ex-gratia payment or a freebie or two would be a reasonable resolution.

Top Bottom