IT band pain - Anyone give me any good news?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chrisc

Guru
:sad: IT band pain today with quite a few uphill miles left to go to get home. Unclipped the right leg and pedaled on the toes which helped by dint of reducing the movement in the joint a bit.

Apart from the usual rehab of RICE which I'm familiar with can anyone give me any good news stories about total recovery after physio or such like?
Am seeing my physio in a week and a bit for the first time about this.

Meantime have to be resting and gently cycling on the rollers. Third time this has happened since Nov and every time I think I've cracked it with a seat/cleat/fit adjustment the damn thing flares up again.

It's incredibly depressing having my new road bike and being limited to 30 miles or so by a dodgy leg. :sad:

I had it a few years back bad and saw a physio. Subsequently I've had recurrences but nothing near as bad and I've been able to ease it off before it came a problem.

C+ did quite a good article on it.

OP
OP
Chrisc

Chrisc

Guru
HLaB said:
I had it a few years back bad and saw a physio. Subsequently I've had recurrences but nothing near as bad and I've been able to ease it off before it came a problem.

C+ did quite a good article on it.

Great article, will try the stretches and strengthening exercises. Thanks! :sad:
Out of interest what did your physio recommend?

beancounter

I have ITBS too.

I'm "treating" it with a foam roller, as long as I can stand it every day. It gradually seems to be improving. I'm still limited to about 20 mile rides though.

bc

OP
OP
Chrisc

Chrisc

Guru
Thanks. Will have a look at the rollers you mention. I seem to be ok up to a couple of hours, varies depending on terrain, wind etc. Having nowhere flat to ride doesn't help recovery which was the main reason for buying static rollers to rode on under controlled conditions to gauge the pain.
Really wanted to be able to ride all day but looks as if this will limit things unless I can sort it out. Bugger...

BearPear

Veteran
Good timing OP! I was going to post something similar myself!

I have suffered with knee pain, on and off since school (25+ years ago) but I can't recall what the diagnosis was at the time. I had physio which involved a heat-lamp and not much else. I have had a toddle round the internet and self-diagnosed IT band syndrome. Hubby has pointed to the IT band along my knee and it seems that I was right (I will probably visit the Dr as well, but I don't like to go for something that isn't "serious").

I had a go at the stretches in the article, but I have read about these "foam rollers" and wondered if anyone could enlighten me as to what these are and how do you use them to aid this condition? Thanks.

OP
OP
Chrisc

Chrisc

Guru
BearPear said:
Good timing OP! I was going to post something similar myself!

I have suffered with knee pain, on and off since school (25+ years ago) but I can't recall what the diagnosis was at the time. I had physio which involved a heat-lamp and not much else. I have had a toddle round the internet and self-diagnosed IT band syndrome. Hubby has pointed to the IT band along my knee and it seems that I was right (I will probably visit the Dr as well, but I don't like to go for something that isn't "serious").

I had a go at the stretches in the article, but I have read about these "foam rollers" and wondered if anyone could enlighten me as to what these are and how do you use them to aid this condition? Thanks.

Well this is my third bout of ITB pain since Nov and at times it's left me in absolute agony unable to use the leg at all on the way home. BUT stretching, resting a couple of days, using ice and a tens machine has so far helped me get through it. Am also trying to build up the gluteus medius which is the hip adbuctor for the leg and is often weak causing itb problems. Easy exercise to do.
I just have to take it easy on the first few rides after it goes again but have been OK today, two days after my last pain, doing an easy fifteen mile run on the flattest bit (tricky round here) of ground I could find. I also ride on rollers so I have control over the effort when rehabilitating myself after a nasty one. I just need to get to the bottom of it so it stops! Got a feeling it's being caused by my badly pronated right foot putting stress on the knee joint so hopefully an orthotic for the shoe will sort things.

I've not got hold a roller yet. Am planning to wait till I see the physio next week to see what they have to say. My doc had never heard of ITB syndrome and diagnosed lateral collateral ligament stress despite the pain and pressure point being away from the ligament itself and behind the itb.

I'd go to the doc and ask for a referreral to physio.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Its a classic sign of overuse, so it may just be that you are overdoing it!

I don't get it so much now, but then again i don't really overdo it anymore. the only thing that really worked for me was rest and some gentle stretches. and a general concern for looking after myself, which wasn't happening very much whenever i used to get it a lot.

good diagnosis here
http://www.physioroom.com/injuries/knee/iliotibial_band_friction_syndrome_full.php

some brilliant stretches here
http://www.physioroom.com/experts/asktheexperts/answers/qa_mb_20051121.php

OP
OP
Chrisc

Chrisc

Guru
Cheers Steve, I think It's definitely overuse. Just that it kicks in at 25 miles which is way below what I'd like to be able to ride. Did you find you can train it to go further before becoming irritated eventually?
Looking at your link it seems that there's a damn good case where this won't resolve normally, for removing that lump of bone that's causing the friction!

JsfWitney

I had ITBS a year ago. Saw a sports physio who gave me a deep leg massage. Absolute agony!!! but it worked. The bands actually feel more supple, and I go back occasionally for a massage.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Chrisc said:
Cheers Steve, I think It's definitely overuse. Just that it kicks in at 25 miles which is way below what I'd like to be able to ride. Did you find you can train it to go further before becoming irritated eventually?
Looking at your link it seems that there's a damn good case where this won't resolve normally, for removing that lump of bone that's causing the friction!

You must understand i was a bit strange about exercise for a while.. I had this problem for about 6 months, then decided to sort it. for me i took some time off and did some yoga and a lot of stretching, daily. About 3 months of stretching/yoga/strengthening did the trick for me. but i did give up on the hour swim and hour cycle i was doing every day too which i think had as a big an effect

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Physios can fix ITB problems and the knee problems they induce, but it usually costs you over £200 because it usually takes about 4 or five appointments. You can often find a sports masseur who will try and loosen your legs muscels, including your ITB and tease out any knots. You know if you need it if it hurts like f*** They generally charge about £25 an hour around here. Physios charge about £40 an hour. They generally give your leg ultrasound and heat treatment as well as massage. They will prescribe you various strengthening exercises too, as often, not only are your ITBs too stiff, your inner thigh muscles have become too weak.

OP
OP
Chrisc

Chrisc

Guru
Well I'm to see my physio next week and she succesfully sorted out my trapped neck nerve within fifteen minutes of the first appointment for that problem so I have some confidence in her. Seems to know all about cycling knee problems a well from our discussions so am hopeful. I think with me it's a foot pronation thing at the root of it all. My right foot is flat and angles in under pressure. A home made arch support has dramatically reduced the problem as a stop gap. That and some serious stretching and warming up. Also been doing exercises to strengthen the abductor muscles and inner quads to see if there's a muscle imbalance problem.
Just hoping for a permanent fix!

Top Bottom