It had to happen, my 1st puncture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paul04

Über Member
I got my 1st puncture since getting the bike last august, but luck was with me, it was flat this morning before I went out.
The last time I fixed a puncture was about 12 years ago on my son's bike. and then I used spoons out of the kitchen draw to get the tyre off the rim.This morning It was like role reversal, 10 years ago it was me helping my son, this morning he was helping me (my fingers are quite sore due to the cold weather)

We spotted a small piece of glass in the tyre, we had to use a pair of tweezers to get it out, and checking the tyre over there was quite a cuts on it. so will have to pick up a new tyre on my travels this week, and keep the old one as a spare.

Continental Gatorskin or Continental 4 Seasons are both excellent tyres.

Good puncture protection and hard wearing against cuts as well IME.

OP
OP
paul04

paul04

Über Member
Continental Gatorskin or Continental 4 Seasons are both excellent tyres.

Good puncture protection and hard wearing against cuts as well IME.

The tyres on the bike are just some cheap kenda tyres that came with the bike,
so thank you for letting me know about the Continental Gatorskin or Continental 4.
so I will replace both the tyres to be on the safe side.

Garz

Squat Member
Just keep a look out for them (gatorskin) to be on offer, in the meantime get a cheap winter variety. If you buy them normal price they are well expensive!

Thank you for letting me know about the Continental Gatorskin or Continental 4.
No worries. There are quite a few variants of the Gatorskins just to confuse things, but assuming you aren't bothered about them folding then THESE will be fine, and at that price I think they are a good deal too :thumbsup:

Sucking eggs time, but remember to check your tyre pressures as well. A lot of punctures are caused by badly inflated tyres.

A ballpark figure for tyre pressures on a road bike would be 100psi, this may be slightly more or less depending on rider weight and tyre selection

If you don't have a track pump I'd strongly advise you get one. I have one of THESE at home and one of THESE at work, both are excellent :thumbsup:

OP
OP
paul04

paul04

Über Member
why do want to keep the old tyres as a spare? From what you say, it is knackered. Throw it away.
I'm not one for throwing things way, but your right, its not really worth keeping.
I remember my dad use to put old car bulbs in a box "just in case" some were stop and tail bulbs with one of the filaments blown:scratch:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Are cyclists suddenly becoming much more affluent? One poster advocating tyres at £30 a shot and somebody telling you to throw a potentially perfectly good tyre away.

on that note, I have quite a few old tyres in the garage, and thinking about binning them, but I do not believe they are allowed in regular garbage bound for landfill, so wondered what other folk do ?

Top Bottom