It is <insert name of FB friend>'s birthday today. Let her know that you're thinking about her

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Yeah but one's a mod on this forum so :secret:.

Yup. And I take advantage of the fact that FB allows you to select who you want to share stuff with so the usual bad jokes, kitten pictures etc get thrown at everyone but I'm as selective about who I share personal stuff with on FB as I am in real life. I treat social media as I would any other means of communication: it's flawed but it's a tool, just like any other.
Yeah, good for you - good that you are taking advantage of those controls but I just found it annoying having to constantly review Facebook's privacy policy.

There are over seven billion people on this planet. Some are lovely. Some aren't. The important thing is that no two people are alike.
You're right there.

r04DiE

One couple I know look at another friends Facebook so they know what is going on....
Those types of people are even more annoying than the narcissists that use Facebook as some sort of ego massager.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Those types of people are even more annoying than the narcissists that use Facebook as some sort of ego massager.
They are still my good friends just he works in a school with a no social media policy, and doesn't want teenagers finding him on Facebook.

r04DiE

Sorry, I didn't mean to be insulting, just my experience of people that use Facebook to nose at others without wanting to be nosed at themselves!

Last edited:

Andrew_P

In between here and there
You don't post something expecting everyone to comment or like it... If you did that then all the likes would have no value.
Can you explain posting (endless) selfies to me then? Just seem so weird.

I feel sorry for teenagers these days, every time they go on Instagram\Twitter\Facebook they are faced with unrealistic self image expectations.

cd365

Guru

I feel sorry for teenagers these days, every time they go on Instagram\Twitter\Facebook they are faced with unrealistic self image expectations.
The world has moved on from our era. Just accept it, you don't need to understand it

summerdays

Cycling in the sun

I don't.... I occasionally post group selfies, but most of my photos are of food, family and views I think. (Just goes to check - in the last 30 photos posted I appear 5 times.... My arm reflected in the car door mirror as I took a photo of cows passing the car, two from behind taken by someone else to demonstrate how I transported some stuff on the bike, one taken by my daughter with a Pokemon in the foreground, and one group shot with my family, only two showing my face, the rest are food, allotment, friends and sunsets!)

TrishE

Über Member
You can unfollow friends on facebook without unfriending them so what they post doesn't appear in your news feed. I have unfollowed friends who post graphic pictures of animal cruelty. They don't know they've been unfollowed and haven't lost my friendship in real life.

Screen Shot 2016-07-23 at 23.50.33.jpg

Julia9054

Guru
You can unfollow friends on facebook without unfriending them so what they post doesn't appear in your news feed. I have unfollowed friends who post graphic pictures of animal cruelty. They don't know they've been unfollowed and haven't lost my friendship in real life.
I have done this too. I know that it is a subject they feel very passionate about but i just don't want to look at it over my breakfast.

That's all well and good so long as you don't mind finding and reviewing all these settings each time Facebook updates its Privacy Policy (which is often).
That's a notifications not a privacy setting, I don't they dick with that very often.

Anyway, it's a feature that some people like and some people don't. I can't think of any better way of doing it than making it configurable.

r04DiE

That's a notifications not a privacy setting, I don't they dick with that very often.
Yes, you are right there, but as a Facebook user, you still need to mess with the privacy settings to keep up with the constant changes if you want any degree of 'privacy.' And, of course, Facebook does anything but respect its users' privacy!

AnneW

Über Member

I do that quite a bit too.

I love FB. It's an easy means of keeping up with family and friends. My family is large and without FB I wouldn't be in as much contact with the younger generations.

I have been known to post selfies too, usually with OH or friends. It's a thing. But it's not compulsory.

FB is what you want it to be. I want it to be fun and it usually is.

TrishE

Über Member

I love FB. It's an easy means of keeping up with family and friends. My family is large and without FB I wouldn't be in as much contact with the younger generations.

I have been known to post selfies too, usually with OH or friends. It's a thing. But it's not compulsory.

Facebook is great for keeping in touch with family especially cousins that I have living abroad. It really upsets me when I see pictures and details of animal cruelty but it's not family that posts it luckily. My mum is 83 and uses fb to keep in touch with family too esp messenger (she skypes my brother in Spain too). No selfies of me my photos are of Bonnie, cycling and camping mostly :smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom