It must be genetic?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
A few years back I was staying at a place in Sweden and there was an MTB in the shed. Pretty old, way too small for me, but in just about working condition. I went blasting off around the pretty rough forest trails nearby. It was utterly childish. And great fun. Not been on one since though.

OP
OP
Emile Flournoy

Emile Flournoy

Formerly known as Yellow-Road
MTB is about gravity. Riding city streets on a road bike is about speed & skill. Just my personal preference. I'm just too "mature" to give a sh@$ about doing stuff I did 35+yrs ago.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Riding an MTB through the woods is great fun. I'm not sure about racing on one and downhill, in particular, requires a massive investment to get started. The cleaning afterwards (which often takes longer than the riding) puts me off, so I restrict myself to a pootle around the local train when it's dry. I used to ride one a lot when I lived in Devon, because road riding around there is a choice between being splattered on the A38 or facing some ridiculously steep lanes.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you read The Escape Artist by Matt Seaton, you will know about the roadie obsession with cleanliness and purity, which explains the obsession with smart kit, leg shaving, immaculate bikes etc. Seaton even claims that if a pro turned up in the peloton with unshaved legs he would be derided. I have to admit that I enjoy this aspect of road cycling although not to the point of obsession; I do like my best bike to be spotless and I don't spoil the look by attaching a saddle bag to it. I don't shave my legs though! This is a welcome contrast to the Mud Years when everything was permanently filthy and I used to undress in the freezing garage after winter night rides because Mrs Gti wouldn't let me indoors covered in mud.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
If you read The Escape Artist by Matt Seaton, you will know about the roadie obsession with cleanliness and purity, which explains the obsession with smart kit, leg shaving, immaculate bikes etc. Seaton even claims that if a pro turned up in the peloton with unshaved legs he would be derided. I have to admit that I enjoy this aspect of road cycling although not to the point of obsession; I do like my best bike to be spotless and I don't spoil the look by attaching a saddle bag to it. I don't shave my legs though! This is a welcome contrast to the Mud Years when everything was permanently filthy and I used to undress in the freezing garage after winter night rides because Mrs Gti wouldn't let me indoors covered in mud.
I've read the book. A minor - slightly pedantic - correction (I hope my memory isn't letting me down): Seaton was never in the pro ranks. The riders who would be derided for unshaved legs were not pros, but somewhat obsessive amateurs.

Not sure where I stand on this. I ride my bike on the road. So by definition it's a road bike. But I only clean it when really necessary. And it has a whacking great big rack on the back which some might think spoils its looks. (I don't). ;) I'm always smartly turned out though (Hummvees and free socks from the Tour de France mag)

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I may be preaching to the choir but I don't see how anyone could actually prefer to ride a heavy, clunky mtb over a razor-like <17.5lb road bike? I road my rusty old mtb down my street today and compared to my HouPlus road bike (which I know is far from comparatively light) its like riding a lawn mower. The increased handling, starting, stopping, etc., of my road bike is such a pleasure to ride I don't understand the disproportionate popularity of 35lb mtbs?

Good to see you haven't changed your mind since June.

If you want to stick a razor blade between your buttocks go right ahead. The rest of us will enjoy a flavour of bikes from the gastronomy of our sheds.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
MTB is about gravity. Riding city streets on a road bike is about speed & skill. Just my personal preference. I'm just too "mature" to give a sh@$ about doing stuff I did 35+yrs ago.

There is a damn lot of 'speed and skill' needed in MTB - skill to keep the speed going. Road riding is easy in comparison. This is coming from a 'roadie'. Also much more concentration needed on the MTB, otherwise things get nasty, quickly.

lane

Veteran
Had a couple of mountain bikes but not for a few years and not any more. Never really got into mountain biking so they ere a waste of money really.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
[QUOTE\] MTB's are like riding a big truck, but in the right place they are great.

I just don't care about riding off road. Splitting lanes, jousting with cars, riding sidewalks, jumping curbs is just a heckuva lot more fun to me than getting covered in mud, damn near killing myself dropping off cliffs. It's just seems so childish.[/QUOTE]

I was going to reply, but can't be ar$ed ! And I messed up the reply box

Top Bottom