It must be genetic?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
As the title of my thread states - IT MUST BE Genetic. I'm not saying road biking is right & mtb'ing is wrong. I'm just saying road biking on city streets if IMO a heckuva lot more fun.
Does that make me a Genetic fluke/mutant?

I've ridden, on road, on a fully laden tourer, "road bike" and recumbent bike. The latter purely for the fun factor. This aside from the number of wheels used.

Edited to add
If it's genetic, I'm the only family, extended included, to ride a bike on a regular basis, where is the genetic link?

OP
OP
Emile Flournoy

Emile Flournoy

Formerly known as Yellow-Road
My chief mtb complaint is their sooo freakin heavy compared to road bikes. My chief road bike complaint is the forward riding position is making it hard for me to learn to bunny hop curbs my mtb flew right over. This vid is helping me out:

View: https://youtu.be/-WJn689sbHg

OP
OP
Emile Flournoy

Emile Flournoy

I think some of you are taking my thread title waaaay too seriously. The razor-like handing & speed of a road bike is just what like. 95% of my riding is street where it's skill & speed. The climbing & jumping of MTB's is sh@# I lost interest in 20yrs ago. Splitting lanes thru car traffic is fun.

OP
OP
Emile Flournoy

Emile Flournoy

That's what makes it so fun, the challenge. Ideal splitting consists of bumper to bumper gridlock. Leaning into turns at full is even more fun.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm surprised no one has mentioned hybrids yet, the bike no bike-shed is complete without:whistle:.

Or gravel....

Only one hybrid in my stable, and it's my wifes. Road bikes or MTB's.

Actually, if the OP was a real urban warrior, he'd have a fixie, not a road bike. :laugh: My urban riding was on a fixie !

si_c

Guru
Only one hybrid in my stable, and it's my wifes.
Same, Raleigh upright town bike style with basket and panniers.

The other bikes are either MTB (Mrs C's and mine) and my road bikes.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I don't think there's anything I can't do on my road bike as I'm too old or "mature" to give a sh@# about jumping or dropping off or climbing anything taller than a curb.
I just very strongly prefer a road bike. Riding a mtb seems so childish compared to road cycling. I no longer care about playing in the sandbox during recess
I just don't care about riding off road. Splitting lanes, jousting with cars, riding sidewalks, jumping curbs is just a heckuva lot more fun to me than getting covered in mud, damn near killing myself dropping off cliffs. It's just seems so childish.
MTB is about gravity. Riding city streets on a road bike is about speed & skill. I'm just too "mature" to give a sh@$ about doing stuff I did 35+yrs ago.
I'm just saying road biking on city streets if IMO a heckuva lot more fun.
The razor-like handing & speed of a road bike is just what like. 95% of my riding is street where it's skill & speed. The climbing & jumping of MTB's is sh@# I lost interest in 20yrs ago. Splitting lanes thru car traffic is fun.

So which would you say that you prefer? Road bikes or MTBs?

OP
OP
Emile Flournoy

Emile Flournoy

Hmmmm I'd have to say road bikes flying around corners at 20mph and crawling over curbs instead of coasting around corners and jumping curbs. The lightness of RBs & dramatically reduced rolling resistance makes cycling fun...... Now I just need to master jumping curbs on my RB .

Top Bottom