It must be genetic?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
Funny isn’t it that the current crop of highly talented & extremely fit pro road racers seem to have an MTB/CX background, I personally think you can’t beat a ride through the woods on my hard tail MTB is good fun, you certainly have to concentrate, and yes it’s all about gravity, the hills here certainly slow you down a fair bit, & guess what it helps with fitness for climbing on the road bike too

Johnno260

Veteran
shave my legs? no thanks I have enough issues cutting my face to ribbons each time! haha

classic33

Leg End Member
I rode 250 plus miles on a mountain bike, over a four day weekend, on-road. Never had a problem with what was being ridden.

I've ridden one, two, three and four wheels on the same roads. Very few problems with any of them.

OP
OP
Emile Flournoy

Emile Flournoy

Formerly known as Yellow-Road
I went through 21 years of all that dropping off and jumping along with the crashes, the mud, the night rides and having to change in a freezing garage afterwards, the wear and tear on kit and the expense. Then 9 years ago I went over to road riding, dismantled my titanium hardtail and sold the bits and I've never looked back. Mrs Gti reminds me that I used to deride roadies with their lycra and their serious expressions but now I is one..... oh dear....

As the title of my thread states - IT MUST BE Genetic. I'm not saying road biking is right & mtb'ing is wrong. I'm just saying road biking on city streets if IMO a heckuva lot more fun.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Road cycling more fun on city streets? With the potholes and idiot drivers and constant braking and accelerations? No fear. I'll stick to my local quiet country lanes with almost no traffic, thanks.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
No no no you're all wrong!
Mountain bikes are as childish as road bikes.
Wot you all need is a Touring bike! Proper grown up and very mature bikes they are. Perfect for filtering through traffic as the rear view mirror just pummels car mirrors out of the way and the big tyres and bomb proof rims allow speedy (10mph) progress along cobbled (they might as well be) roads. The rear panniers/carradice saddle bag allows the carrying of sensible food like Tangy Toms and spare clothing for all weather including wet days. None of that 'summer bike' crap!
When us mature types feel obliged to check on the wilderness, that same heavy, mudguarded bicycle happily ensures all the mud and sheep sh*t that farmer Giles can throw at it. The odd drop off can be had and like I found out a couple days ago, blasting downhill on a narrow pebbled single-track is bloody good fun despite its 'owned by a fat old guy' image.
Get a proper mature bike cc'ers. Get a touring bike!

If I had my way I'd have an mtb, a road bike and the tourer. All have their uses and all equally fun and mature.

Slicked MTB on the road. Job done.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No no no you're all wrong!
Mountain bikes are as childish as road bikes.

PSSST, I do think MTB's bring out the inner kid. Jumping, riding down stupid vertical cliffs, down stairs, screaming you're 'gonna die'. Bit like careering down a big mountain on a road bike at insane speeds. City riding, nah. That was just for commuting, and look where that got me.

Venod

Eh up
All it comes down to is 'ride the bike you like in the terrain you like riding in'.

Exactley, I have had a stinking cold all week so missed some good days, today looks like a belter, so its the CX bike with 38mm tyres that measure 40mm on the rim, there will be road farm tracks and a bit of single track, about 10:00 when the sun starts getting a bit of warmth looks good.

si_c

Guru
I'm not sure where genetics comes in, personal preference perhaps. I have an MTB and I love getting out on it but the majority of my riding is on the road, and I enjoy that too.

That being said, the best skilled road riders I know are either cyclocross riders or MTBers.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I go by the seasons. Much of the time, I'm on a touring or road bike. In the autumn, and parts of the winter and spring, I enjoy some MTB trails. I do need a decent MTB, but 24" frames are kind of rare.

Top Bottom