IT questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Erm no! You can easily install Linux on almost any computer.[/SIZE]
Erm no! To not being able to install Linux - completely agree, it works on almost anything

Erm yes! to Linux not being pre-loaded on the vast majority of mass produced PCs.

It depends whether the OP is willing to install an operating system and drivers after purchase.
970022AC-2F61-4A54-B5B9-41407F0FD8E3.png

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Erm no! To not being able to install Linux - completely agree, it works on almost anything

Erm yes! to Linux not being pre-loaded on the vast majority of mass produced PCs.

It depends whether the OP is willing to install an operating system and drivers after purchase.
View attachment 570098
A computer is not an operating system... you can by one with windows installed, format the drive and install whatever OS you want on it.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Simply Milkfloat I used to be able to get windows on discs that you loaded yourself now it is all online stuff. I only look at academic stuff for writing and don't buy online or do fb or anything else like it. Duck Duck Go doesn't store information like Google.
I too used to load Windows form 40 odd floppy discs, but the vast majority of machines you will buy will have it loaded already, plus installing it from a download is trivial too with lots of support. If you buy a machine without an operating system, you are going to need access to another machine to create installation media anyway, unless some kind soul provides it for you. If you want simplicity then Windows or MacOS is the obvious choice. What is your current device as your needs are pretty basic and you may be able to simply use that with some modifications.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Have you considered maybe a tablet pc with an attachable or even Bluetooth keyboard? Most of your tasks seem light and you can get yourself more comfortable when reading also?

ianbarton

Veteran
Yes, but it's not difficult. Linux is the most widely used OS in the world. Every Android phone runs Linux. Mac OS is FreeBSD Darwin with a fancy user interface. All Google's and Amazon's servers run Linux.

si_c

Guru
Any computer you get should be fine - a couple of administrative things are worth doing - first make a USB stick/DVD with the original installation media on it in case you wish to sell it on later.

Second, get another USB stick with Linux Mint/Your other favourite Linux distribution.
Third install that distribution, install Libreoffice and you are good to go. If you are looking for a good email client then Evolution is a good option too - depending on your setup it should be an easy installation.

I run Archlinux on my setup at home - and I use Vim and LaTeX for document production - there is nothing superior to this, easier definitely, but for academic work nothing beats it.

Another vote for Linux - probably Ubuntu as it seems to be the most 'user focussed' rather than the more geeky ones

and Libre Office comes with it - or is easy to download - and is pretty much the same as Microshaft Office - just a few minor differences

if you need other software there are often free version available - especially for Linux
and lots of help is available from the WWW - just makes sure you look at help that applies to the same version you are using

Oh - and it's often faster

GoldenLamprey

I run Archlinux on my setup at home - and I use Vim and LaTeX for document production - there is nothing superior to this, easier definitely, but for academic work nothing beats it.
Hey, another ArchLinux user here.

OpenOffice keeps getting mentioned on this thread, but it is pretty much unmaintained now. LibreOffice (which was originally a copy) is the one you want, as it is actively developed.

D

Deleted member 26715

The learning curve can be a little steeper too with less support.
I'm not sure that is quite the case, I haven't used Windows this century, at the beginning it was quite hard & you had to fudge stuff to get it working, now it just seems to work. I'm currently running Mint 19.1 on one machine & 19.3 on another, I control both by a single keyboard & mouse, I think both still have Windows on them but I can't remember the last time I had to use it. But there are a few packages that demand Windows so it's good to be able to dual boot.

D

Deleted member 1258

I'm not sure that is quite the case, I haven't used Windows this century, at the beginning it was quite hard & you had to fudge stuff to get it working, now it just seems to work. I'm currently running Mint 19.1 on one machine & 19.3 on another, I control both by a single keyboard & mouse, I think both still have Windows on them but I can't remember the last time I had to use it. But there are a few packages that demand Windows so it's good to be able to dual boot.

Yes, linux is a lot more friendly than it used to be.

si_c

Guru
Hey, another ArchLinux user here.

OpenOffice keeps getting mentioned on this thread, but it is pretty much unmaintained now. LibreOffice (which was originally a copy) is the one you want, as it is actively developed.

Nice! I swapped to Arch after using an LFS system for a while, but that became increasingly hard to use. I've used Arch for about 13 years now, plenty I'd change about it, but it's still better than the rest. I'd suggest that my desktop setup is postively Awesome :rofl:

For openoffice - it is being developed, but the pace of development has fallen so far behind that of libreoffice that its comparatively glacial, libreoffice 7 is very very good, Office 365 is still better overall, but the gap is closing slowly.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Linux is certainly far more user friendly than it used to be, but anyone would be kidding themselves to say that it is more user friendly for the average Joe. It is all well and good geeking out over Linux but the OP needs simplicity both in getting a device up and running and maintaining it.

Top Bottom