IT questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You'll probably have some tinkering to do with Linux. MS and Apple stuff is designed to run for non-techy people and works well.

Remember to add in anti virus software etc (unless built in to that particular version of Linux).

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Thanks again everyone I think I know what I'm looking for now.

ianbarton

Veteran
@ianbarton , you mention android phones are Ok with Linux - so are are android tablets different to android phones in that they don’t support Linux?
No, they actually run Linux. The basic kernel is pure Linux every app you see on the phone is built to run using Linux. Android tablets use the same kernel as phones. Android tablets and phones are Linux, like Windows and its apps are Windows.

ianbarton

Veteran
You'll probably have some tinkering to do with Linux. MS and Apple stuff is designed to run for non-techy people and works well.

Remember to add in anti virus software etc (unless built in to that particular version of Linux).
Most everyday apps such as word processors are easy to install on Linux and for most purposes will be just as useful as Windows. I don't remember the last time I had to install a driver to run something on Linux. Almost all drivers required are already built into the kernel. Linux Mint and Ubuntu are easy to install and unless you have some very specific bit of software that is only available on Windows you can install it from the repository and it's free.

Wordprocessing, spreadsheets, graphic design tools and photo editing software are all available and of good quality. If you have to use Photoshop or Lightroom and can't use any other program then Linux isn't for you, although there are equivalent powerful graphic tool available.

Excel probably has more functionality, but for everyday use the Libre Office spreadsheet is fine. Excel also still has serious bugs. For example, it has three different ways of storing dates and can't cope with dates before 1904. When I used Word it went through major version upgrades where the multi-document feature was broken. You couldn't do things like writing a book and divide it into one file per chapter then generate the complete book from all the different files, which got page numbers, index, etc correct.

You don't need anti virus on Linux.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

Again not sure that is true, Mint will work straight out of the USB stick, no tinkering required,

As to Anti-virus, that's an interesting one, I don't know anybody on Linux who runs it, I would have thought 99.99999% of viruses are targeted at Windows due to it's very poor security in the past.

Actually you could use WIndows and just put Libreoffice on it rather than Microstaft - and change Firefox or Opera or whatver to use DuckDuckGo rather than Google

I did have my main computer booting from Ubuntu for a couple of years - only stopped when I wanted a Windows only game
Ubuntu was easier and faster - might go back to it when I can be bothered

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Yes, if worried about privacy, check your app permissions :ohmy:

That doesn’t stop Google collecting data, just the third party app.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Again not sure that is true, Mint will work straight out of the USB stick, no tinkering required,

As to Anti-virus, that's an interesting one, I don't know anybody on Linux who runs it, I would have thought 99.99999% of viruses are targeted at Windows due to it's very poor security in the past.
A friend decided to get an Apple laptop instead of a Windows one for that very reason... he learnt the hard way and now has anti-virus software on his Mac

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

Actually it’s targeted as 99.99999% of home computers run Windows.

Again I have never known anyone with a Mac get a virus

same and I’ve been a Mac users almost since their very first models and I work for a huge technology company, the only way that could happen is if you installed software with a virus unlike windows which is so weak it’s a mission these days not to get one, mind you the security settings and software on my windows devices makes them a pain to use day to day

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
same and I’ve been a Mac users almost since their very first models and I work for a huge technology company, the only way that could happen is if you installed software with a virus unlike windows which is so weak it’s a mission these days not to get one, mind you the security settings and software on my windows devices makes them a pain to use day to day
I've always run Windows and have never had a virus. I have accidentally installed some malware when not paying attention... but that's equally likely with any OS.

Top Bottom