IT questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Any IT boffins knowing an answer, moving shortly and planning on getting a all in one PC for my research and writing. I do not want Apple or Windows and believe there are free versions of similar Word programmes available to download that do the same thing. Also I don't want Google and prefer Duck Duck Go. Is this possible to do on a new PC?

Chris S

Legendary Member
How about a Linux-based PC?
https://itsfoss.com/linux-based-mini-pc/
I know for a fact that the Ubuntu has a repository where you can download Windows compatible utilities, usually for free. You may not need them though, even its lightweight versions like Lubuntu come with word processors, spreadsheets and graphics editors already installed.

ianbarton

Veteran
As someone who has used Linux since about 2005, you should be fine. LibreOffice works almost all of the time. The only time you get minor formatting problems is when you are sent a document that has some Microsoft specific formatting. However, it doesn't happen very often. If you do have a problem email the sender saying Word is supposed to use an open document format, which Microsoft agreed to some years ago. However, they stuffed the committee that decided on the format with lots of small countries paid by Microsoft to agree the final agreed format. In addition MS have added several undocumented "features", which are directly in contravention of the agreement.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
I do not want Apple or Windows ...... Also I don't want Google
You have pretty much written off the vast majority of mass produced computers then and have left yourself very narrowed options.

ianbarton

Veteran
You have pretty much written off the vast majority of mass produced computers then and have left yourself very narrowed options.
Erm no! You can easily install Linux on almost any computer. If you have a monitor and keyboard, or happy to buy these separately, you get something like an Intel NUC or a Beelink U57 Mini PC, which takes up very little desk space, or can be attached to the back of your monitor. My main computer is an Intel NUC with 16 MByte RAM and 1Tb SSD.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Erm no! You can easily install Linux on almost any computer. If you have a monitor and keyboard, or happy to buy these separately, you get something like an Intel NUC or a Beelink U57 Mini PC, which takes up very little desk space, or can be attached to the back of your monitor. My main computer is an Intel NUC with 16 MByte RAM and 1Tb SSD.
I agree there, but 16mb ram? You couldnt operate a desktop clock these days on that!

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Simply Milkfloat I used to be able to get windows on discs that you loaded yourself now it is all online stuff. I only look at academic stuff for writing and don't buy online or do fb or anything else like it. Duck Duck Go doesn't store information like Google.

Top Bottom