IT questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GoldenLamprey

Nice! I swapped to Arch after using an LFS system for a while, but that became increasingly hard to use. I've used Arch for about 13 years now, plenty I'd change about it, but it's still better than the rest. I'd suggest that my desktop setup is postively Awesome :rofl:

For openoffice - it is being developed, but the pace of development has fallen so far behind that of libreoffice that its comparatively glacial, libreoffice 7 is very very good, Office 365 is still better overall, but the gap is closing slowly.
i3 here, and started around the same time.

GoldenLamprey

Linux is certainly far more user friendly than it used to be, but anyone would be kidding themselves to say that it is more user friendly for the average Joe. It is all well and good geeking out over Linux but the OP needs simplicity both in getting a device up and running and maintaining it.
It will never quite match Windows and Mac, because they are everywhere and backed by massive corporations, raking in the money. Still, compared to years ago, trying to identify network cards and load kernel modules to get your wireless to work, it is pretty easy now. The old 'works out of the box' saying applies for most hardware now.

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Thank you all. Gives me a much better idea. The sizes and gigabyte stuff means very little to me but I know what I am looking for now.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
I don't use Google on my phone just Duck Duck Go. That works fine.
What would be your preference out of a. buying your PC with your desired operating system pre-installed, then installing your desired software straight away but having a very small number of deals to choose from; and b. buying one with any OS and then wiping your hard disk, installing your desired OS, followed by drivers then your software but having a lot more deals to choose from?

Pros and cons to each but what is your preference?

@Oldhippy ,
If I were you I'd think again about rejecting the mainstream.
I think it was your good self on another thread who couldn't post a url/link? (I mean no offense)

Going to a non-mainstream system will require some understanding, some adaptation, some user input and could lead to a very frustrating experience. Add to the fact that the pool of people to help you will be less.

I can understand a wariness of "spying" but the advantages are significant.
My laptop is in an attic on the other side of the world but all the bookmarks I saved over the years are here on my phone as I type this. I had to do nothing for this.
Every photo I take is backed up to Google. Even if I lose, break or have my phone stolen I still have them. I had to do nothing for this.
Also, if I have gps active on my phone each photo is "located" for future reference. I can click on one photo and see all the other photos I took in the same location irrespective of when I took them.

I can take notes, written or audio, on my phone and have access to them on my laptop (if I had my laptop!)
Copying and pasting from websites, apps and my own notes couldn't be easier. I prepared pages and pages of notes for my trip that sit in the cloud and on my kindle. They are from a variety of sources and include pictures, diagrams, text, hyperlinks. I can access them on my phone when I have wifi or data, and always on my kindle. There was no need to do anything special when making these - they just work!

If I had a unique, billionaire creating idea I'd be wary about committing any thoughts to my Google docs or online storage. But I'm just a normal person. My online stuff really isn't that interesting!😁

Again, I mean no offence, but I'd suggest (when Covid is over) to investigate a night class or similar on how to use what you already have. You might surprise yourself!

Good luck!

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I think it is the vast all seeing corporation thing that bothers me most. I appreciate the irony of me using the internet at all and everything though.

GoldenLamprey

If you are planning an assault on the Capitol, perhaps your search history might be important. As one of seven billion on this planet, of which surely at least a billion or two must have an online presence, finding my inconsequential posts is probably not important.

I appreciate that there are sometimes unforeseen hidden consequences with location tracking, but I still doubt anyone cares, unless you are influential, famous or a security threat. Just take sensible steps to not make everything public.

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Ultimately it is me being me. Everything marketed in the modern world seems to have be an 'experience'. I make my own experiences and have no interest in gimmicks to get more money from me. I read a real book because I enjoy it, I cook a meal from ingredients because I enjoy it. I like writing books and researching history because I enjoy it. I appreciate I am massively out of step with most people.

Top Bottom