It's all about the rider ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Skipper

It's all about the rider, not the gear for me. I ride a hybrid, nothing embarrassing there, but rarely seem to see many others about for casual cycling. I don't have the latest team gear, or the go-faster cycle glasses, or a high tech road bike. My stuff comes from Sports Direct, i.e. less than a tenner if possible. I don't droll over the latest machines, or upgrade with super-fast, super-light, carbon accessories. I simply keeping my little hybrid in good working order. I'm always playing with the brakes and gears, but they are the original ones, apart from replacing like for like when they wear out.
However, at nearly half a century, I can still turn 18 to 19 mph average, for a 40 miler. I call that not bad (bragging a bit I know).
What I'm saying is that the passion comes from riding, and doing my best on the machinery I've got. No upgrades to go faster, no flashy gear to impress the neighbours, just pure cycling.
Anyone else feel the same .......?

Kies

I bought a decent road bike and later a decent hybrid. Have no reason to "upgrade" either one,and just keep them in tip top running odder. Not bothered about fancy kit though. Still wearing 2 tops I bought from JJB at £14 for 2,that was 18 months ago!

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
each rider is different in terms of height and weight. Weight can be 'tuned' as much as possible but there is a limit on a tall frame. Smaller framed riders have less wind resistance and usually less weight. in addition the taller rider needs a bigger/heavier bike, bigger/heavier clothing,shoes etc. So put them both on the same make/model road bike and i reckon the smaller rider will be faster on the same route.

That's my opinion FWIW.

BUT...hillwimp nailed it...it really isn't some kind of macho competition to out speed/distance anybody...unless you are racing I guess.

ScotiaLass

Guru
I wear what's comfortable - my clothing comes mainly from Sports Direct.
My bike is 7 years old (albiet not been used for a few years, so it's like a 2 year old bike!) - the only reason I will get a new one (in time) is because it's an MTB and far too heavy for me now, especially with my medical issues to consider.

I buy the best quality I can afford :smile:
I'm just getting back to it after enforced time away and can honestly say that the excitement of getting back out there, getting fit and just enjoying myself, far outweighs having the latest gear/bike etc :smile:

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
but, but, but what about N+1?

i need new gear as my stuff is knackered but will just be getting sports direct bibs and ali/lidl leg warmers etc. just treated myself to overshoes and a water/wind proof jacket too.

as far as the bike goes i would love a carbon blingy Di2 setup but until they are on entry level bikes then its a no go for me! lol. my 2 year old spesh roadie and 10 year old giant MTB will see me through for many years yet (only 15 mph average generally on the roadie but i enjoy it still!)

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Well done, you ride in cheap kit... you have achieved something.

This is just another lame thread for the inverse snobs to pat each others backs.

OP
OP
Skipper

Skipper

Cheap lycra hugs just as well as expensive lycra.
I always chuckle as well when the latest Team Sky kit rides past .... one of these days tho' it might just be Sir Brad. Probably wouldn't see it tho', just a flash of blue and black.
Talking of which ... has he been shaving off his side burns just to make himself go faster?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Cheap lycra hugs just as well as expensive lycra.
I always chuckle as well when the latest Team Sky kit rides past .... one of these days tho' it might just be Sir Brad. Probably wouldn't see it tho', just a flash of blue and black.
Talking of which ... has he been shaving off his side burns just to make himself go faster?

...and the lycra "hugging" is the end of the story is it?

Top Bottom