It's all your fault.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baldy

Über Member
This came up on face-ache, I know lots of people don't do face-ache so I've cut and pasted it here.

It seems we've all got it all horrible wrong, we are really bad people.

The bicycle is the slow death of the planet.
General Director of Euro Exim Bank Ltd. got economists thinking when he said:
"A cyclist is a disaster for the country's economy: he does not buy cars and does not borrow money to buy. He does not pay for insurance policies. He does not buy fuel, does not pay for the necessary maintenance and repairs. He does not use paid parking. He does not cause serious accidents. He does not require multi-lane highways. He does not get fat.
Healthy people are neither needed nor useful for the economy. They don't buy medicine. They do not go to hospitals or doctors. Nothing is added to the country's GDP (gross domestic product).
On the contrary, every new McDonald's restaurant creates at least 30 jobs: 10 cardiologists, 10 dentists, 10 dietary experts and nutritionists, and obviously, people who work at the restaurant itself."
Choose carefully: cyclist or McDonald's? It is worth considering.
P.S. Walking is even worse. Pedestrians don't even buy bicycles.

This came up on face-ache, I know lots of people don't do face-ache so I've cut and pasted it here.

"A cyclist is a disaster for the country's economy: he does not buy cars and does not borrow money to buy. He does not pay for insurance policies. He does not buy fuel, does not pay for the necessary maintenance and repairs. He does not use paid parking. He does not cause serious accidents. He does not require multi-lane highways. He does not get fat.
Healthy people are neither needed nor useful for the economy. They don't buy medicine. They do not go to hospitals or doctors. Nothing is added to the country's GDP (gross domestic product).
On the contrary, every new McDonald's restaurant creates at least 30 jobs: 10 cardiologists, 10 dentists, 10 dietary experts and nutritionists, and obviously, people who work at the restaurant itself."

So that makes me some kind of fifth-columnist, destroying capitalism from within?

Mwahahahahahaaaaaa...

si_c

Guru
That general director is a blithering idiot.

Money is fungible, meaning if it doesn't go one way it goes another. I don't drive, so I don't buy cars. I do buy bicycles, and parts, and clothes. And I buy electronics, my money goes in directions other than a car finance company. I'm healthy so I don't go to the hospital, which means that money is available to pay someone to look after old people, giving them a job, and injecting money into the local economy.

When you are talking about consumer spending, just because someone buy one thing doesn't mean that there is less money in the economy unless it's taken out of the bank and put under a mattress, that money goes somewhere, buys something.

Got them thinking that he’s a twat. Registered in the financial powerhouse of St Lucia. Bet the economists were wishing they’d sat at the other end of the bar so they didn’t need to listen to his shite.

That general director is a blithering idiot.

Money is fungible, meaning if it doesn't go one way it goes another. I don't drive, so I don't buy cars. I do buy bicycles, and parts, and clothes. And I buy electronics, my money goes in directions other than a car finance company. I'm healthy so I don't go to the hospital, which means that money is available to pay someone to look after old people, giving them a job, and injecting money into the local economy.

When you are talking about consumer spending, just because someone buy one thing doesn't mean that there is less money in the economy unless it's taken out of the bank and put under a mattress, that money goes somewhere, buys something.

And there's the lack of indirect costs caused by bikes compared tot he damage caused by cars, although I guess that would be another reason not to allow bikes in the Kafkaesque logic of Neo Liberal economics.......

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
So the money for the NHS can cover far better care and more expensive treatments as it’s not eaten up by the fall out from cars.

So every person in the UK has an extra £4,000 a year to spend elsewhere in the economy.

So we can maintain roads at a fraction of the current cost and materials. No more bypasses.

So we build cities where everything you need is within walking or cycling distance.

So everyone lives within walking and cycling distance of work, schools etc.

So we reclaim the whole width of the roads for people

Children grow up fitter, stronger and healthier

So we get to use the word so a lot.

Etc.

Sounds great, when do we start?

D

Deleted member 1258

This has been around for a while, or something similar has, I've read it before, the writer is an uninformed idiot.

Cerdic

So much wrong with that, it's hard to know where to start.

Most obviously, the majority of cyclists (in the developed world, at least) also buy cars and fuel etc etc. And bikes!

Do you think that bank might need a new General Director? I may be an idiot, but I'm less of an idiot than him...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Er, look for the humour... Look for the underlying message... :whistle:

HINT: It ISN'T that cycling and walking are bad! :okay:

Badger_Boom

Über Member
So much wrong with that, it's hard to know where to start.

Most obviously, the majority of cyclists (in the developed world, at least) also buy cars and fuel etc etc. And bikes!

Do you think that bank might need a new General Director? I may be an idiot, but I'm less of an idiot than him...
Is anyone else wondering if it’s a quote from Barry Tootell, late of the Co-Op Bank?

Top Bottom