It's officially Christmas!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TVC

Christmas is supposed to be a religious holiday. I see stuff-all evidence of that around here, just more rampant Capitalism. It's all meaningless crap.
Only if you are a Christian is it a religious holiday, It has been the mid winter festival and celibration of the shortest day long before it was hijacked by the new testiment shouters. Agree though it is about meaningless crap these days.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I nearly cried when I saw the decorations at St Pancras the other morning.

Waaaaaay too early.

You almost cried at Christmas Decorations? You need to get out more!! :giggle:

Seriously though, I suspect it is a case of them wanting to get their moneys' worth out of them seeing as they sit in storage the rest of the year. You can't begrudge them that.

The missus and kids start whinging about wanting "presents" . Then miraculously the house gets a big tidy up by her despite her leaving it me for the other 51 weeks of year because " my mother is stopping with us again this year and it needs to be tidy"

Ah yes, the people who get treated like The King/Queen, irrespective of whether they deserve it or not....

Imagine if your birthday was on Boxing Day. Or Christmas eve. Yayyyy, looking forward to that. It's not going to be overshadowed by any other celebration is it? Imagine if it was on New Years Eve!
If you have a child born in the yuletide period LIE to them. Tell them their birthday is in March, or something. March is shoot.

My Big Sister's is on New Year's Eve and her husband's is on the 2nd (I think) of January.
I feel sorry for them as they get everything once a year and have all the crappy tie-ins people do with combined Christmas and Birthday presents, etc etc.

To me, they are seperate and should be treated like so.

Easter this year

Easter is crap though unless you are a kid, are religious or are one of these Countryfile watcher types who seem to have an unending love of newborn lambs and stuff.
In other words, Spring would be ok if people didn't keep going on about how amazing it is and ramming it down our throats like it's the law (See Christmas for a similar response).

I prefer Autumn, the trees look better for a start....

May you could do what the Italians used to do: celebrated on the the namesake saints feast day? Of course, you really have to old school Catholic to that. And you kid has to be named after a saint who still has a feast day (they trimmed a lot of Sts in the sixties.

I don't know many people called Crispian, Pancras or Swithan though :scratch:

If it really is Christmas, you absolutely have to get on to Amazon or Ebay right now. The alternative is a hateful visit to The High Street. If you are a masochist, ignore this advice and enjoy yourself.

People always warn about going to the local Asda on Christmas eve, so I am actually going to go this year purely out of curiosity!! :laugh:

Last edited:

Tin Pot

Guru
Christmas is supposed to be a religious holiday. I see stuff-all evidence of that around here, just more rampant Capitalism. It's all meaningless crap.

I too tire of the buy buy buy, but I'm putting it behind me and getting on with it.

Celebrating the birth of our Lord is the main event, the joy of giving presents and holding parties for the ones we love is part of that.

We'll be having 11 people for dinner, 10 family and one guest I dont know yet.

It's my wife's favourite event and I'm with her on that.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
To get you in the mood, courtesy of the 'count to 100 using pictures' thread!! :giggle::

IMG_0723.JPG

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
That's me on the right...blue suits me, doesn't it?

And it gives a little flash of your moobs too! :giggle:

stalagmike

Enormous member
And the capitalist 'holidays' are getting more often these days as marketing types dream up more occasions for us to spend. Halloween is huge now, then fireworks, then there's this thing called black Friday that's been invented to scare consumers into thinking they might miss out on a great bargain. And three days after Christmas it will be Easter eggs in the shops. Then mothers day etc etc. Eventually every week of the year will have some kind of nonsense occasion associated with it that we'll all be guilt tripped into spending our hard earned. HUMBUG!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Any decent bargains to be had?

I see Aldi advertising £7.99 Malbec, but I'm sure Laithewaites would have something at that price.

The Exquisite Range Malbec is £5.49 or £5.99...I can't remember. They're also doing magnums of it for £11. Excellent stuff

I've been impressed by Alid's Xmas alcohol offering generally. Bought a bottle of 27 year old cognac which should be a treat. Pity they don't have any vintage port but I always buy a bottle of Tesco's every Xmas and it's very good

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...ristmas-2016-aldi_uk_582dad0ce4b0c6c8bc14d8ff

Last edited:
Top Bottom