Its Ryder Cup Time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Really??? World Number 1, 4 time major winner, 6 time ryder cup player ( 4 wins)….countless european, pga and wins around the world

whats the lad got to do lol
Montgomerie despite his wins was famous for choking. He never won a single play-off. The bookies gave up on him. Greg Norman was another with wins but known for choking.

Both were known for their strong personality and skill yet it was always nail biting when it came to the last day. Brilliant to watch. The irony was the actual winner would get less media profile than Norman or Montgomerie.

For some reason, no player has come close to these 2 greats in this regard.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Looks like the Europeans will be points down going into the singles, which I'm told is the Americans' strongest suit.

Pre match predictions of a European defeat are likely to be correct.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Montgomerie despite his wins was famous for choking. He never won a single play-off. The bookies gave up on him. Greg Norman was another with wins but known for choking.

Both were known for their strong personality and skill yet it was always nail biting when it came to the last day. Brilliant to watch. The irony was the actual winner would get less media profile than Norman or Montgomerie.

Monty and Jimmy White are similar.
Both are natural talents and can easily bully lesser opponents but always struggled at the very top level.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me

My about quote was about mcilroy though and not monty……..but in the ryder cup, monty was a demon and won it as captain at The celtic manor 2010 course, here in a very wet wales on the 4th day

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
Really??? World Number 1, 4 time major winner, 6 time ryder cup player ( 4 wins)….countless european, pga and wins around the world

whats the lad got to do lol
Well he could have built on his achievements.

His 4 major wins came at an age to put him ahead of and a potential all time rival to Tiger and Jack. He was that good.

He got unlucky (recklessly?) breAking a leg playing football and since then he's failed to knuckle down and get back to his best. At a minimum he should have more majors than Faldo by now.

I often wish he'd shut up and head for "no fun land" (Caddy talk for Practice Ground). And I'm a (disappointed) fan.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity

His 4 major wins came at an age to put him ahead of and a potential all time rival to Tiger and Jack. He was that good.

He got unlucky (recklessly?) breAking a leg playing football and since then he's failed to knuckle down and get back to his best. At a minimum he should have more majors than Faldo by now.

I often wish he'd shut up and head for "no fun land" (Caddy talk for Practice Ground). And I'm a (disappointed) fan.
He’s got £150 million in the bank.
motivation to do the hard graft can’t be that easy.

Slick

Guru
He’s got £150 million in the bank.
motivation to do the hard graft can’t be that easy.
Its still the obvious difference between potential and true world class.

Also, not everyone measures success in cash, although to be fair, I do.

Slick

Guru

I feel exactly the same about him, although we probably haven't got the right to be disappointed in someone we have never met.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk

Is that the prevailing 'diagnosis'? I'm a keen watcher, but no aficionado, and have often puzzled as to why he hit a wall in his career, as it were.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Is that the prevailing 'diagnosis'? I'm a keen watcher, but no aficionado, and have often puzzled as to why he hit a wall in his career, as it were.
I dont think a change in equipment helped and also he tried to change his swing to get more length to compete with players like bryson…..but he didnt need to do that, he was already one of the longest and straightest on tour. Maybe he believed too much in his own hype and being worth 150m must take the edge of competing a bit now…….

but i dod think there are some barron ryder cups ahead for europe, as not many of them played on yhe pga tour, which over the last 2 decades have helped europe become the masters on the big ryder stage

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Watching it out in the garden today…..got to love a spare sky Q box

OP
OP
J

jowwy

40/1 for Europe win? Do the bookies know something we don't? A few twists and turns for sure. Here's hoping for the Miracle by Lake Michigan :okay:
Whos getting the 9pts we need just to retain the cup???

i cant see wins from poulter, mcilroy, westwood or casey………so won of them needs to step up.

i can see points from rahm, garcia, lowry, hovland, …….but again we need hatton, fitzpatrick, weisberger and fleetwood to win too, i just think its way too big of an ask

Top Bottom