It's.....so......pretty......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Slick marketing in a world gone mad.

Though that sums it up nicely it's actually worse than even your darkest fears because there is no defence. If the closest thing to a god on earth, our Lord Marky of Mark, can be fooled by these marketing demons then there is no hope for the rest of us.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
To you maybe. To me it's a phone, music player, video player, camera, satnav, email, internet, shop etc etc. I find it good value for all those things. If you only see it as one tiny element of the whole package then it has a different value to you.

Just because it evolved form just a phone, doesn't make it just a phone any more than a computer is not just a calculator and therefor should only cost £5.

I probably use my "phone" as a phone about 1% of the time I am using it for something. 99% of the time, like @Markymark I'm taking pictures, using google maps to navigate, faffing on the internet, booking train tickets, messaging far flung lands where I do business

So, joking aside about iPhones, Samsungs or (even) Huaweis, they aren't phones any more. They are mobile personal computers that you happen to be able to call someone on. As such, they are good value if you want to use their functionality

OP
OP
M

Markymark

Though that sums it up nicely it's actually worse than even your darkest fears because there is no defence. If the closest thing to a god on earth, our Lord Marky of Mark, can be fooled by these marketing demons then there is no hope for the rest of us.
Why do you think I'm being fooled and not choosing to buy it? I've had apple products for many many years. I find them value for money. Some people avoid apple because they don't want to follow the heard. Some manufacturers even use this as their marketing to attract customers. I will enjoy buying their most expensive phone becuase I can and I will enjoy it.

MacB

Why do you think I'm being fooled and not choosing to buy it? I've had apple products for many many years. I find them value for money. Some people avoid apple because they don't want to follow the heard. Some manufacturers even use this as their marketing to attract customers. I will enjoy buying their most expensive phone becuase I can and I will enjoy it.

Ooooh touché or, in this instance, I think I mean touchy

Doseone

Guru
I do like my Iphone but would like to see the shortcomings of their existing phones addressed in future updates. Would love a charger that doesn't break and a battery that isn't sh!t.

The first one of Apple or Samsung that comes up with a battery that lasts for 2 days of moderate use is on to a winner

OP
OP
M

Markymark

I do like my Iphone but would like to see the shortcomings of their existing phones addressed in future updates. Would love a charger that doesn't break and a battery that isn't sh!t.

The first one of Apple or Samsung that comes up with a battery that lasts for 2 days of moderate use is on to a winner
If you believe the blurb the iPhone x will last 2 hours longer than the 7 and will support a charging mat so that would somewhat solve both your problems.

MacB

If I use my phone a lot then it needs charging twice a week but normally once a week or even once a fortnight is plenty. It's a really good phone and doesn't have any of the phone issues 'smartphones' seem to have. If I want to play on the internet then I use a tablet or computer.

I will go to a smartphone when they bring one out that has an extendable screen and keyboard that allows it to actually be used as the personal computer it pretends to be. Until then I will continue to marvel at how well marketing works even to the point of getting the numpty consumers to shill for the company and claim it's everyone else that's the fool.

MikeG

Guru
If I use my phone a lot then it needs charging twice a week..........

Even if I used my 'phone all my waking hours it would still never need charging.

OP
OP
M

Markymark

If I use my phone a lot then it needs charging twice a week but normally once a week or even once a fortnight is plenty. It's a really good phone and doesn't have any of the phone issues 'smartphones' seem to have. If I want to play on the internet then I use a tablet or computer.

I will go to a smartphone when they bring one out that has an extendable screen and keyboard that allows it to actually be used as the personal computer it pretends to be. Until then I will continue to marvel at how well marketing works even to the point of getting the numpty consumers to shill for the company and claim it's everyone else that's the fool.
Yet I have a tablet I barely use now as the iPhone has replaced it for me. If it dies it won;t get replaced. So in essence we are doing (mostly) the same things but you are using two devices and me, one. You get the benefit of a larger screen on the tablet but I don't find it an issue and even less so with the larger screen the iPhone x will have and I have the advantage (for me anyway) of having it with me at all times in my pocket.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Moto G. Cheap too. Easily lasts a day with reasonable use, and 2 if I'm careful.

MacB

Yet I have a tablet I barely use now as the iPhone has replaced it for me. If it dies it won;t get replaced. So in essence we are doing (mostly) the same things but you are using two devices and me, one. You get the benefit of a larger screen on the tablet but I don't find it an issue and even less so with the larger screen the iPhone x will have and I have the advantage (for me anyway) of having it with me at all times in my pocket.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: This is priceless and Apple haven't paid you a penny, in essence we are doing very different things. When I'm out and about I have a mobile phone, it's small in use and even smaller when folded in my pocket. It's a long time since smartphones, IMVHO, have been remotely pocket sized. If I'm going to carry and use something not pocket sized then I'm buggered if I'm going to go for a poor mini tablet that has some dodgy telephone stuff jammed inside. To me that's not fit for purpose on either the computing or the telephony front.

But keep telling yourself that it's all your idea and your choice and you've not fallen for any marketing at all!!!

OP
OP
M

Markymark

:rofl::rofl::rofl: This is priceless and Apple haven't paid you a penny, in essence we are doing very different things. When I'm out and about I have a mobile phone, it's small in use and even smaller when folded in my pocket. It's a long time since smartphones, IMVHO, have been remotely pocket sized. If I'm going to carry and use something not pocket sized then I'm buggered if I'm going to go for a poor mini tablet that has some dodgy telephone stuff jammed inside. To me that's not fit for purpose on either the computing or the telephony front.

But keep telling yourself that it's all your idea and your choice and you've not fallen for any marketing at all!!!
I'm confused. I have one device I use at home or out. It fulfils what you use two devices for. It fits for purpose when I am out - not sure why you think a phone doesn't?

MacB

I'm confused. I have one device I use at home or out. It fulfils what you use two devices for. It fits for purpose when I am out - not sure why you think a phone doesn't?

I know you're confused you seem to believe that a large modern smartphone meets the description of being both mobile and pocket sized. As soon as you understand that it doesn't then everything else makes sense....take your time

OP
OP
M

Markymark

I know you're confused you seem to believe that a large modern smartphone meets the description of being both mobile and pocket sized. As soon as you understand that it doesn't then everything else makes sense....take your time
Mine fits in my pocket quite comfortably. It is perfectly mobile so I don't notice it there.. I can use it for viewing and typing quite comfortably to the point that even when my tablet is nearby I won;t bother to use it. Maybe you struggle with that so I can see why you need 2 devices.

Top Bottom