ITV in with new Cycling Show

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albion

Guru
That 'lack of edge' actually tells us more about the state of British TV than anything else.

It is a laid back and often intelligent show. It's a duck out of water in dumb Britain and something I'd watch.
TV hysteria is for children.

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
That 'lack of edge' actually tells us more about the state of British TV than anything else.

It is a laid back and often intelligent show. It's a duck out of water in dumb Britain and something I'd watch.
TV hysteria is for children.

I'll agree with the sentiment if not the actual statement, I think the cycle show has been poor but the signs are they are listening (and reading...) and it's obvious they are improving so time will tell.

Even the xfactor (which I could 'just' tolerate has now become XwayisessexFactor) and it seems ok to idolise dumb people as if they are something to aspire to! I mean 'nervewreck' hashtag when blonde Essex weirdo Rylan (made up name!) came on summed it up for me. Haven't watched it since.

Cheap tv doesn't have to be reality shows full of people as numb as pissstones! Rant over...

lb81

I put this mondays show on last night via the online player, had to turn it off after the feature about bike maintenance.

Cervelo is taken in to the workshop, bearing play, chain/cassette, tyres are all checked and play/wear is found. Presenter establishes it sounds 'expensive', parts are replaced and Cervelo is ridden away.

What have either experienced riders or newbies learnt from that other than replacing parts on a Cervelo will likely be 'expensive'.....

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
That's true! He came across as a very willing punter! Any unscrupulous dealers would have been sucking through their teeth!

It would have been more interesting to show him doing the work, the tools and skills etc.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I think the show is aimed at a more beginner level than some members of this forum. Imagine how off putting it would have been if he'd said "Well I need to check the chain, that's a tenner for a tool for that. Oh, it's worn I'll need a toolkit to get the chain off and the cassette off, let's call that an even ton". Joe Bloggs down the street would be packing the bike back in the garage before the show was over.

lb81

I think the show is aimed at a more beginner level than some members of this forum. Imagine how off putting it would have been if he'd said "Well I need to check the chain, that's a tenner for a tool for that. Oh, it's worn I'll need a toolkit to get the chain off and the cassette off, let's call that an even ton". Joe Bloggs down the street would be packing the bike back in the garage before the show was over.

Ok agreed but how many begginers ride around on Carbon Cervelo's?

I also dont really see why actually giving an idea of realistic cost is such a bad idea. And i say realistic because i cant see too many new riders going around on SPD SL`s that probably cost a ton on their own.

Maybe even a plug for their sponsors to show that decent replacement parts need not cost the earth.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Ok agreed but how many begginers ride around on Carbon Cervelo's?

I also dont really see why actually giving an idea of realistic cost is such a bad idea. And i say realistic because i cant see too many new riders going around on SPD SL`s that probably cost a ton on their own.

Maybe even a plug for their sponsors to show that decent replacement parts need not cost the earth.
True but a beginner will recognise the Cervelo as "a bike" and be able to at least equate it with their own steed.

I agree they could maybe have a regular slot where they introduce tools slowly. Say start off with tyre replacement (levers, pump, maybe track pump and gas as options) and work up to cassette removal etc. This would require an ongoing commitment from ITV 4 though otherwise it would end up like one of those magazines where you end up with half a Spanish galleon and nothing to do with it.

The way I understood Monday's show was "You've got a bike, you've maybe not used it for a while and now because of Wiggo, you want to commute. Here's the things that will need checking"

Rykard

Veteran
How about a maint slot like in Cycling Plus - each week something different - start easy punctures, brake blocks and work up through the series to the harder stuff?

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I've said this on another forum. The fundamental problem with that programme is the subject matter. Cyclists talking about bikes and cycling, the cyclists themselves judging by the guests so far, are just not very interesting. The producers are trying to make a show on a very small budget about a subject that is dull. Riding a bike is fun, nearly every aspect of owning and riding a bike is fun, but listening to others talk about it is dull. That is the problem with the programme it's duller than a dull person staring at a dull puddle.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Which is why they need kit reviews..deff not dull!
very dull.

I don't entirely agree with Carl, but I accept it's an uphill struggle. It's possible to speak and write beautifully about cycling (Henry Miller did it), and it should be very possible to make film about cycling that is beautiful. Having said that......I'm struggling to recall an example.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
very dull.

I don't entirely agree with Carl, but I accept it's an uphill struggle. It's possible to speak and write beautifully about cycling (Henry Miller did it), and it should be very possible to make film about cycling that is beautiful. Having said that......I'm struggling to recall an example.

Just be because you don't agree with me doesn't mean I am not right. ;-)

Roff Smith writes a beautifully written blog about cycling check it out perhaps they should use aspects of that as a template for a television programme.

Norm

I've said this on another forum. The fundamental problem with that programme is the subject matter. Cyclists talking about bikes and cycling, the cyclists themselves judging by the guests so far, are just not very interesting. The producers are trying to make a show on a very small budget about a subject that is dull. Riding a bike is fun, nearly every aspect of owning and riding a bike is fun, but listening to others talk about it is dull. That is the problem with the programme it's duller than a dull person staring at a dull puddle.
In your opinion.

In my opinion, there are already shows and a YouTube stuffed with videos about riding, much of the cycle show is different because it does stuff that you don't see anywhere else.

Top Bottom