I've had a taster!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Royalrider

Hi,
not sure if this is the correct forum, however.
I've just returned from a three day two night cycling/camping adventure in the Peak District.
I took my 11yr old son to a place called Hurdlow,6 mile south of Buxton in the White Peak. I'm new to this and unlike you experienced touring cyclists, I love reading about, I had the camping gear in the car and planned three days cycling from our one base camp.
We are completely hooked and have just got back from town with proper ordnance survey maps to plan our next venture.
I have read lots, on other forums, about the debate of a double or triple chainring. I am now convinced that when I invest in my new cycle, which I plan to do soon, it will definitely have to be a triple. I simply could not have made it up some of those hills with with names like Old Knoll and High Rake without it especially if I plan to carry gear in the future.

Your enthusiasm comes through loud and clear, Royalrider! ;)

Glad you and your son had such a good time. Sounds like your free/holiday time is going to be spent on two wheels and under 'canvas'!

All the best, and hang around here; there's a lot of info to be gleaned.

:sad:

Bigtallfatbloke

Cool!...I'd love to take my 14 year old with me but he has no interest. I think doing the car thing was wise to start with. Get a triple FFS....I ran out of gears on my triple on some of th ehills in Germany in July.

Tony

Just one hint (there are many, many things you'll learn). Before you go on a bike-riding camping tour, do as you have just done, but do it as a weekend with everything carried on the bikes. Pick a place with escape options (B&B, train station) and easy riding. This gives you a "shake down" trip, the only way to really learn what is essential on these trips. Enjoy!

OP
OP
R

Royalrider

Yes Cathryn the Peaks are stunning. I live in Derbyshire and can cycle in the Peak district whenever I want. Being out on the bike makes you realise what a great country we live in which a car never can compete with.
Thanks for the advice Tony. I am trying to persuade the wife that she would really enjoy a cycling break as well!! and the B&B/train option may be the first step with that.
BTFB, I have been following yor posts and exploits for some time and I agree with other posters the name is a misnomer (I've seen the photos), your son may well join you at some point. I have twin 21 yr olds as well as the 11 yr old and one of them decided to join me on the trip, he'd never shown an interest before. Fortunately for him, not for us, he could only do the first day and had to return home to prepare for an interview the next day.
Thanks for the comments all

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Great stuff, Royalrider. Once you're hooked it gnaws away at you until your next trip. Get bolder gradually and maybe pick an easy route so as not to deter Mrs Rr.

My son has recently got the bug and is coming home this week so we can go out for a day ride.

Top Bottom