Ive upped my RAM..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
I've had various linux distros over the years as alternative boot options but none has persuaded me to abandon whatever version of Windows was current at the time as my main o/s.

Until a couple of months ago my main system was XP, having not been convinced at all by Vista, especially after troubleshooting it on friends' PCs. I then decided to wipe Ubuntu from the dual boot and try the 64bit release candidate of Windows 7.

I have to admit I'm really impressed. It installed in minutes with all my hardware recognised and it has performed faultlessly - so much so that I'm really using it as my main o/s until the official release. It boots quickly and can be used immediately, despite me loading the system with all the software I can throw at it. Networking is a doddle. It also looks very nice and I now get all 4gb of ram recognised, which has made a noticeable difference to editing large video files (or it may just be Windows 7).

Just about the only criticism I have is the file search method which I just can't get to grips with at all. It seems to be dumbed down too much and I can't always trust the results on system file searches.

John

Mr Pig

Rezillo said:
Until a couple of months ago my main system was XP, having not been convinced at all by Vista,

I thought XP was pretty good. The only version of Vista that seems to work well for me is Ultimate. The cut-down ones always seem to have some issues or other; they're dog slow, hang, won't do what you want, crash other software, you name it.

Glad to hear that 7 looks good. My son uses Ubuntu and swears by it. He can dual boot Windows is he needs to but seldom does.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Ubuntu (and Mandrake or Suse) is nice if you have fairly standard hardware. However, with anything esoteric, it can be very frustrating. I've got a Canon network printer/scanner, a satellite card and a DTT card, plus an AV input device,which either have no Linux drivers or if they do, they do not have the same functionality as windows drivers.

Windows 7 RC seems very good - it just works. Even cosmetic features like desktop wallpaper transitions are gorgeously slick.

John

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Since loading Ubuntu, I have more or less given up on XP, I still have it but rarely boot it, but then I am using an ageing laptop, maybe time for a new computer...

D

Deleted member 1258

HJ said:
Since loading Ubuntu, I have more or less given up on XP, I still have it but rarely boot it, but then I am using an ageing laptop, maybe time for a new computer...

I started with Ubuntu last January on a dual boot with XP, a short time later I dumped XP and have been on Ubuntu since then. It worked well on my elderly gladiator PC and it installed simply and works well on my new PC from Dino PC. When I first installed it I had problems getting my ancient cannon printer working and in the end I used it as an excuse to upgrade to a new HP 3 in one printer scanner and copier. It works well with my camera and creative mp3 player. I have had some minor issues, most due to me learning my way round, but nothing serious, and have found the Ubuntu forums very useful.

Ubuntu unless I am gaming or working, then I boot into Vista, or run a virtual XP session for some older software.

Reckon 80 percent Ubuntu in practice, surfing, music and movies with some arty stuff in Gimp.

Top Bottom