Jeremy Clarkson... 'Road Tax??'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Woz!

That's the real crux of it, I've yet to see an advocate of the 'it's not speed that's the problem but inappropriate speed' that doesn't also consider that they have superior driving skills. The amount of accidents where speed is a significant factor would indicate that this isn't the case. A persons superior driving skills, judgement and awareness are only superior until they're not. Whether it's over confidence, an off day, someone elses fault or an alien spaceship landing in front of them.

Now I know that all those muppets are not really good drivers and you're the real deal...but we only have your word and judgement on that and some would rather trust to speed limits than those.

OK - how's this then: I'm at best an average driver*.

How does the 'Speed kills' mantra help me in an urban environment when I want to retune my radio? Should I just slow down a bit?
How does it help me when overtaking a cyclist and there's not enough room? Should I do it slower so that I can squeeze past at a safe speed?
I guess it's fine for a cyclist to ride on a busy pavement so long as they go slowly?

It's a pointless, unhelpful bit of 'advice' that's chanted by people who would like a snappy way to attack motorists that can't be applied to cyclists.
The reality is more complex, and once again, I've heard Clarkson (and even the character he plays on his entertainment show Top Gear) say this again and again.

*I believe I'm a good motorcyclist though. I feel much more aware of the road and always think the car drivers are out to get me. 20 (er rather more than 20 now I think of it) years of biking and one single accident. Which happened to happen when a car pulled into me at about 15 miles an hour while I was filtering. He was in the wrong and his insurance paid full costs.

Jezston

Über Member

[/size]

Clearly it is against the law. But are you suggesting that if they are travelling at walking speed, it is dangerous?

Whilst technically against the law, home office guidance states police should not take someone to task on it unless they are being a dick.

Personally if I see an adult who doesn't look decrepid riding on the pavement when there's a perfectly good road next to them, I think that's pretty sad, but unless they are doing over jogging pace it doesn't wind me up.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the same guidance apply to motor vehicles which occasionally have to cross pavements to enter driveways?

Woz!

OK - I'm out. You've ignored all my other points and picked up on a technicality of law.
Have fun.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
It's a pointless, unhelpful bit of 'advice' that's chanted by people who would like a snappy way to attack motorists that can't be applied to cyclists.
The reality is more complex

Yawn. Actually, it is a snappy bit of advice with a simple message - slow the f**k down.

Lurpak

not interested mate
Why has Private Eye repeatedly mused whether Jeremy Clarkson is as fervant a supporter of super-injunctions as he is free speech? And why has the Daily Mail just run a story about a super-injunction of a high-profile TV person? And how would any possible revelation affect that man's job security? And how would the BBC cope with having to actually think up a more wholesome revenue stream that doesn't blatently advertise product and pander to a FHM readership's hazy understanding of libertarianism - under the guise of light entertainment? Oh, and he's not even a real hammock.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
How does the 'Speed kills' mantra help me in an urban environment when I want to retune my radio? Should I just slow down a bit?
if you look at the BBC interactive map it's clear that drivers are safer in towns than they are out of towns. That is because they go faster out of towns

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8401344.stm Take a look at Devon and Cornwall, Thames Valley and Gloucestershire (I'm looking at the 2008 maps).

subaqua

What’s the point
That's the real crux of it, I've yet to see an advocate of the 'it's not speed that's the problem but inappropriate speed' that doesn't also consider that they have superior driving skills. The amount of accidents where speed is a significant factor would indicate that this isn't the case. A persons superior driving skills, judgement and awareness are only superior until they're not. Whether it's over confidence, an off day, someone elses fault or an alien spaceship landing in front of them.

Now I know that all those muppets are not really good drivers and you're the real deal...but we only have your word and judgement on that and some would rather trust to speed limits than those.

i never said i was a superb driver.

i would say average maybe.

being taught how to and being are very different. i do however have the road skills to drive ( and ride for that matter) at a speed commensurate with the conditions/location. safe road use is more than driving safely at speed, i have nowhere near enough practice nor the time to practice that in a safe environment. so i don't.

i got caught out with over confidence at 18, i ended up upside down in a storm drain on christmas morning. luckily i didn't get hurt. It taught me a very valuable lesson and one i fiollow today is to know exactly where the limits are and keep well below them.

helped me get all the other licences i hold.

20 years with no at fault accidents is a fairly good record. getting hit from behind in stationary traffic is not fun in any vehicle

as somebody once said its a limit not a target.

As Easy As Riding A Bike

How does it help me when overtaking a cyclist and there's not enough room? Should I do it slower so that I can squeeze past at a safe speed?
I guess it's fine for a cyclist to ride on a busy pavement so long as they go slowly?

All these points seem to be a response to a claim that speed is the only factor involved in making driving, or cycling, safe. Unfortunately no-one here is making that claim.

It remains true that cycling along a busy pavement is safer at walking speed than at 20 mph, if all other things are equal.

I suspect you've realized this, and that's why you've flounced off.

Leaway2

Lycrist
It's a comedy/entertainment programme, anything Clarkson says is purely for comedy value.
I for one won't be complaining about it, just continuing to enjoy one of my favourite shows
thumbsup.png

I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned the fact is what a Frenchman and his comments about the silly accent
biggrin.gif

I'm going to Mexico next month. I suppose the toilet will be cleaned with my tooth brush after his last rant :ohmy:
(if they get round to it!)

Top Bottom