Jeremy Clarkson... 'Road Tax??'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
Don't know where you got that 'fact' from, but I certainly dispute it!

As a kid in the 60s and 70s, I and my friends were NEVER shouted at by any motor vehicles when we were out and about.

There was considerable less traffic on the roads then and 'accidents' were unheard of. Road road, as it is today, is a relatively new phenomenon.

so using basic extrapolation. more cars will equal more abuse. I would suggest the percentages were very similar. i can remember my grandad telling me about a car driver who shouted at him when he was cycling to work in the 1930s. my grandad was a farm worker and saw him later when he was on the tractor and the car was in a ditch.

where did kenneth grahame get his inspiration for Mr Toad ? bet that wasn't Top Gear. hey maybe we should blame him for sparking off road rage back in 1908.

subaqua

What’s the point
[QUOTE 1305425"]
13 pages in 24 hours? Clarkson has achieved his aim, and his next pay check is on its way.
[/quote]

yup.

so using basic extrapolation. more cars will equal more abuse.

It isn't just the increased volume in traffic.

Motorists show far more respect to cyclists on the continent, so maybe it's a British 'thing'.

Certainly over the last 15-20 years, standards have declined, discipline in schools and at home is non-existent and selfish and bullying behaviour has increased at a ridiculous rate.

And therein lies the problem: unless punishments fit the crime, then society will accelerate to a level where it almost becomes anarchy.

As Easy As Riding A Bike

I like where this is going.

Next up - we'll be arguing it's fine for Jeremy Clarkson to suggest that women who wear short skirts deserve to have their bottoms groped, because, after all, sexism has been around for ever, and sexists will always try and grope women's bottoms.

Norm

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Moving on before this goes too much further, four good things from it and (on re-viewing it) one bad. I'm still thinking it was a good piece overall, although it could have been better. :thumbsup:

dand_uk

Number of people in UK increasing
Number of cars per household increasing
Number of people per car decreasing
Proportion of people using public transport decreasing
Number of cars on the road increasing
Traffic queue length increasing
Average speed dropping?
Driver frustration and stress increasing
Driver patience - non existent.
Attitude to cyclists = get out of my way

If people slowed down and chilled out they would get to their destination in a much better state of mind. It is the motorist who floor it from red light to red light that get on my tits.

Also modern car design enable you to accelerate and brake sharply. Legal limit for maximum engine power????

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
It's not the speed which kills, it's inappropriate speed or driving badly enough that you hit something.

which part of the physics and biomechanics do people need explaining.

take an object, like a bullet

I throw it at someone at 10mph it hits them between the eyes. result? a bruised forehead

a major league base pitcher throws it at someone at 100mph, bang on the same target. result? probably a concussion and the possibility of a fractured skull

build a gun and fire it at someone at 1000mph result? no back of head

only the speed is different so if it isn't the speed that kills our headless sap what is it?

Norm

I throw it at someone at 10mph it hits them between the eyes. result? a bruised forehead

a major league base pitcher throws it at someone at 100mph, bang on the same target. result? probably a concussion and the possibility of a fractured skull

only the speed is different so if it isn't the speed that kills our headless sap what is it?
And which part of "inappropriate speed" are you missing, Greg? Throwing a bullet at someone might be an inappropriate action but the speed is ok. Shooting them between the eyes is an inappropriate action and the bullet has an inappropriate speed.

If you want to persist with the condescending BS, driving at 70 on the M4 at 3am is appropriate. Doing 70 in a higher risk urban environment is not appropriate. The speed is the same, the appropriateness is not. :rolleyes:

subaqua

What’s the point

a boulder weighing 1000kg at 20mph will do more damage than a boulder of 1kg at 20mph .

see what we did there. speed was the same but the mass was different.

its not speed. its innapropriate speed.

i am not going to start discussing physics out of work!

turnout

a boulder weighing 1000kg at 20mph will do more damage than a boulder of 1kg at 20mph .

see what we did there. speed was the same but the mass was different.

its not speed. its innapropriate speed.

i am not going to start discussing physics out of work!

How many cars weigh 1kg?

subaqua

What’s the point
How many cars weigh 1kg?

don't be so flaming obtuse.

if you want to start arguing using physics then you gotta use it properly.

changing either of the values changes the outcome. a gwizz has mass of ?? compared to bus of ??

their is a different energy transfer for both. newton worked this out before cars buses or even bikes were invented.

Top Bottom