Jeremy Clarkson... 'Road Tax??'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Speed in itself doesn't kill.

A motorist's inattention and lack of awareness, coupled with the speed of the vehicle compounds any mistake made. And in a lot of incidents, it is the resultant collision, the speed of it, and the forces meted out on casualties that determine fatalities. I am always shocked to hear of deaths in 30mph limits, because of the (supposed) relatively slow speeds involved.

If you can't bring your vehicle to a stop safely in the distance you can see to be clear in front of you, then you are driving too fast.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
If memory serves, you can only get tickets in pairs, 1 male and 1 female. There was some stink that they were discriminating against homosexual couples due to this if I remember right.

But the 'pretty', fawning, eyelash-fluttering girls seem to be always at the front?

Not sexist, just a fact.

Look at any show and it's the females who now have the presenter's attention.

Any bloke spoken to is usually ridiculed for being ginger, or for driving a citroen.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
"Speed kills"

drive a car into an immovable object at 5mph whilst not wearing a seat belt. Walk away smiling.

do same with identical car at 10 mph 20mph. only speed has changed. you will probably get bruises and a nosebleed

try same trick at 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, regular little MIRA thing going by now, and let me know at what speed you decide to quit.

Then consider the effect of hitting a pedestrian in circumstances where speed on impact is the only variable. 10mph most will walk away. 30mph most won't.

"Speed kills." Killed my friend Nick. Works for me.

Norm

I think this thread has gone way off the original comments on last night's Top Gear.

Essentially, they said that lots of cyclists are now wearing cameras (a good thing for them to say), Hammond cycles a lot (a good thing for them to say), Clarkson is an idiot (a good thing for them to say) and we don't pay road tax (a good thing for them to say).

Much as you might be able to dredge up negative comments from Clarkson's ingloriously opinionated past, I saw little that wasn't good on last night's motoring-related entertainment magazine programme.

drive a car into an immovable object at 5mph whilst not wearing a seat belt. Walk away smiling.

do same with identical car at 10 mph 20mph. only speed has changed. you will probably get bruises and a nosebleed

try same trick at 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, regular little MIRA thing going by now, and let me know at what speed you decide to quit.

Then consider the effect of hitting a pedestrian in circumstances where speed on impact is the only variable. 10mph most will walk away. 30mph most won't.
It's not the speed which kills, it's inappropriate speed or driving badly enough that you hit something.

Trevrev

Veteran
It's just tongue in cheek humour. Clarkson knows how to press buttons! He's very good at it, but i just love him. In fact my whole family think Top Gear is a cracking programme. You just need to be a little light hearted.
Take a chill pill and relax..........PMSL!

It's not the speed which kills, it's inappropriate speed or driving badly enough that you hit something.

So if, overnight all vehicles were automatically restricted to 75% of the posted speed limit (lazers from space or something) the death and injury rate would remain the same?

As Easy As Riding A Bike

Much as you might be able to dredge up negative comments from Clarkson's ingloriously opinionated past, I saw little that wasn't good on last night's motoring-related entertainment magazine programme.

Except for Clarkson stating that cyclists deserve to be cut up.

Which is, of course, a hilarious joke.

Even if a large subsection of the audience actively buy into this bollocks.

As Easy As Riding A Bike

It's just tongue in cheek humour. Clarkson knows how to press buttons! He's very good at it, but i just love him. In fact my whole family think Top Gear is a cracking programme. You just need to be a little light hearted.
Take a chill pill and relax..........PMSL!

Your whole family deserve to be run over.

If you don't like me saying that, well, just take a chill pill.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
If it's down to size/tax scale, then if a cyclist deserves to be forced off the road for not paying tax, then a car deserves to be forced off for not paying as much as a lorry?

Isn't there a statistic somewhere that 1 in 20 cars on the roads in great britain are not 'taxed' or insured?

Don't they deserve to be outed by Top Gear, after all, they're 'don't pay Road Tax'

As Easy As Riding A Bike

[QUOTE 1305400"]
LOL, I'll probably be driving a big truck at the weekend. Does anyone know of any motorists in the home counties area that they want 'disposed' of? After all all lorry drivers are murderers.:rolleyes: :biggrin:
[/quote]

Point missed, yet again.

You are not grasping the distinction between causing offence, and the advocation of violence.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
[QUOTE 1305403"]
Sorry but it's you that is missing the point.

If you can prove to me that on the back of Dickheads comments last night that motorists will actively 'go after' (for want of a better term) cyclists then I'll happily say I'm full of shoot and I don't know what I am going on about.

edit: No doubt I expect to see a sharp increase in the number of reported incidents between cyclists and motorists after last nights commnets.:rolleyes:
[/quote]

Ever had a motorist tell you (after they almost hit you) that you shouldn't be on the road, as you don't pay tax?

Where do they get this 'script' from?

Do you not see how irresponsible his comments were? Comments which passed editing by an 'intelligent BBC team' and are subsequently beamed to MILLIONS of people.

I like TG and laugh at all their stunts, but where's the balance?

At what point do they say, 'joking aside, we (as motorists) kill thousands of people every year.......now here's Jeremy with a derogatory comment about.....[insert minority group]'

As Easy As Riding A Bike

Where do you think the hostility exhibited towards cyclists by a minority of the general public has come from?

I don't think some people are getting the "joke".

EDIT - Directed at User3143. ComedyPilot has made essentially the same point while I was posting.

Top Bottom