Jeremy Clarkson... 'Road Tax??'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Does anyone honestly believe that the dickheads who pass too close on purpose and/or yell abuse, quite often involving 'pay some road tax!' are not influenced/encouraged by Clarkson and his ilk?

sums it up nicely for me

Woz!

Road safety campaigners and politicians accused Top Gear today of sending out an "irresponsible" message to viewers that speed does not kill.

In response to this, I would ask what are statistically the safest roads in the UK?

turnout

In response to this, I would ask what are statistically the safest roads in the UK?

If you mean motorways citing their relatively low fatality rate is a red herring.

No corner shops on motorways. No schools, zebra crossings, pedestrians or cyclists.

So saying speeding on motorways is safe so it must be safe everywhere is daft.

Woz!

If you mean motorways citing their relatively low fatality rate is a red herring.

No corner shops on motorways. No schools, zebra crossings, pedestrians or cyclists.

So saying speeding on motorways is safe so it must be safe everywhere is daft.

Saying 'speed kills' is daft too.

"A combination of factors relating to road complexity, speed, driver awareness and car maintenance along with other things too numerous to mention...kills" is a less glib but also less snappy way to describe it.

I actually think Clarkson understands this and was trying to make that very point.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker

Empty ones, with no traffic on them.

As soon as a human being in a hurry, stressed, enraged, not looking, on the phone, applying make-up, pissed, smacked up, driving a defective vehicle, or not wanting to wait a few seconds....ya di, ya di, ya dah................. turns a key in the ignition, then we're ALL in the firing line.

3000 deaths a year back that up.

Or were they all 'accidents'?

I think the Beeb should put an advisory on Top Gear - like a cigarette packet -"Driving kills if not perfomed responsibly" - better still, a notice about how many people died in car 'accidents' since last weeks' hour of joviality.

Now here's 60 minutes of people crashing cars, caravans, lorries and buses - please be aware they do this with a full safety crew, and a risk assessment - you out there don't have such luxuries.

Trouble is, our country hasn't got the balls or any understanding of the concept of personal responsibility to accept they have got it wrong, and it's always someone else's fault.

turnout

Saying 'speed kills' is daft too.

Nope.

The human body is designed to survice running into a tree or rock at up to 20mph. Above that speed the chances of death or serious injury decrease dramatically.

Take 20mph zones:

Typically within Hull, 20 mph zones have achieved reductions[<A href="http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200102/cmselect/cmtlgr/557/557ap80.htm#note106">106] in injury accidents of:

• — Total accidents -56 per cent

• — Killed & seriously injured accidents -90 per cent

• — Accidents involving child casualties -64 per cent

• — All pedestrian accidents -54 per cent

• — Child pedestrian accidents -74 per cent.
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200102/cmselect/cmtlgr/557/557ap80.htm

Speed kills.

they're young men who've never discovered the joys of masturbation

Er, that comment just doesn't seem right somehow

Anyway, I enjoy Top Gear and take Clarkson with a pinch of salt.

I noted he was wearing a Help for Heroes wrist band so respect to you Jeremy for that.

subaqua

What’s the point
Empty ones, with no traffic on them.

As soon as a human being in a hurry, stressed, enraged, not looking, on the phone, applying make-up, pissed, smacked up, driving a defective vehicle, or not wanting to wait a few seconds....ya di, ya di, ya dah................. turns a key in the ignition, then we're ALL in the firing line.

3000 deaths a year back that up.

Or were they all 'accidents'?

I think the Beeb should put an advisory on Top Gear - like a cigarette packet -"Driving kills if not perfomed responsibly" - better still, a notice about how many people died in car 'accidents' since last weeks' hour of joviality.

Now here's 60 minutes of people crashing cars, caravans, lorries and buses - please be aware they do this with a full safety crew, and a risk assessment - you out there don't have such luxuries.

Trouble is, our country hasn't got the balls or any understanding of the concept of personal responsibility to accept they have got it wrong, and it's always someone else's fault.

Bold- quite true. and that goes for all road users.

as for the advisory , can we have one on Candleford and all the other period dramas.

warning: this prgramme if it doesn't bore you to death will certainly want to make you stick knitting needles in your eyes.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Er, that comment just doesn't seem right somehow

Anyway, I enjoy Top Gear and take Clarkson with a pinch of salt.

I noted he was wearing a Help for Heroes wrist band so respect to you Jeremy for that.

nah. he means they are w*nk*rs but they do it in a completely joyless way.

subaqua

What’s the point
Nope.

The human body is designed to survice running into a tree or rock at up to 20mph. Above that speed the chances of death or serious injury decrease dramatically.

Take 20mph zones:

Typically within Hull, 20 mph zones have achieved reductions[<A href="http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200102/cmselect/cmtlgr/557/557ap80.htm#note106">106] in injury accidents of:

• — Total accidents -56 per cent

• — Killed & seriously injured accidents -90 per cent

• — Accidents involving child casualties -64 per cent

• — All pedestrian accidents -54 per cent

• — Child pedestrian accidents -74 per cent.
http://www.publicati...557/557ap80.htm

Speed kills.

can't dispute the fact that 20mph zones do reduce deaths /injuries.

But. its not speed on its own that kills. yes its a factor but remove or reduce any of the factors and the rates will fall. thats how a risk assesment works.

those that repeat the mantra speed kills are as bad as Clarkson , just at the opposite end of the spectrum.

if speed was the cause of all then why would TfL ( ok not the best example ) raise the speed limit on the A13 between Goresbrook and Beckton ? incidentally CS7 runs along this route but is separated from the carriageway by a quite wide verge.

the reason they did it to reduce accidents is the average speed cameras set at 50mph rather than static gatsos etc at 40mph which encourage people to brake even if they are travelling under the limit. this causes accidents.

a good analogy in the stupidity of both is the christian right in USA saying islamic extremists are bad . the reality is both are as bad as each other.

turnout

Cameras are inert, static objects. They no more cause drivers to brake than tuna sandwiches. If you panicked and braked on your driving test would you pass?

Amheirchion

The BBC have a particular policy on that show to have a 50/50 male/female audience split.

If memory serves, you can only get tickets in pairs, 1 male and 1 female. There was some stink that they were discriminating against homosexual couples due to this if I remember right.

Top Bottom