Jeremy Clarkson... 'Road Tax??'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
One of the joys of Canada is that practically no-one has heard of Jeremy Clarkson.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
[QUOTE 1305408"]
Nothing awkward, however I do feel that you are somewhat ignorant to what drives (pun intended) motorists to dislike cyclists.
[/quote]

WGF may be ignorant, but I'm all ears.....?

As Easy As Riding A Bike

[QUOTE 1305408"]
Nothing awkward, however I do feel that you are somewhat ignorant to what drives (pun intended) motorists to dislike cyclists.
[/quote]

You seem to be presuming that I think Top Gear is solely responsible. I don't.

However, you seem to be presuming that the kind of witless "banter" that routinely appears on the programme has no effect whatsoever.

I think that's a rather casual assumption.

subaqua

What’s the point
You seem to be presuming that I think Top Gear is solely responsible. I don't.

However, you seem to be presuming that the kind of witless "banter" that routinely appears on the programme has no effect whatsoever.

I think that's a rather casual assumption.

no I/we don't.
I have no doubt it has an effect on moronic tw@s that would shout or scream it anyway, so even if TG was taken from the air or toned down the barragge we suffer daily wouldn't change.

Motorists used to shout abuse at cyclists/other road users long before telly was invented, who taught bthm to scream it , or has Clarkson managed time travel now.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
In life we gather values from all sorts of places: family, friends, school, uni, work, the pub and also to a lesser or greater degree the media.

I believe the media do not take this responsibility at all seriously.

How else would they broadcast (or print) the drivel thay do, and not expect 'some' of the millions of viewers/listeners/readers to take up some of those values/mantras/opinions as their own?

Norm

Except for Clarkson stating that cyclists deserve to be cut up.

Which is, of course, a hilarious joke.
I don't remember him saying that. If he did, then it was pretty thoughtless and, IMO, wrong, whether it was intended to be funny or not.

It remains, though, that I think it was good to get publicity about the camera discussions, it was good that Hammond said he cycled (his winning the race across London remains one of the best races that they have done, IMO) and it was good that Clarkson was called an idiot for the point of view he was expressing.

As Easy As Riding A Bike

Motorists used to shout abuse at cyclists/other road users long before telly was invented

True, but that, unfortunately, does not establish that Top Gear has no effect on making those kind of attitudes more widespread and socially acceptable.

I am not arguing that cyclists were never subjected to abuse, hostility or dangerous driving before Top Gear came along.

Motorists used to shout abuse at cyclists/other road users long before telly was invented, who taught bthm to scream it , or has Clarkson managed time travel now.

Don't know where you got that 'fact' from, but I certainly dispute it!

As a kid in the 60s and 70s, I and my friends were NEVER shouted at by any motor vehicles when we were out and about.

There was considerable less traffic on the roads then and 'accidents' were unheard of. Road road, as it is today, is a relatively new phenomenon.

Norm

Oh, and it's good that Clarkson said we don't pay road tax. I think that the economic benefits remain amongst the bigger rewards of cycling, just try smiling and saying "Yeah, it's great isn't it" the next time the line gets thrown at you when you are riding. :thumbsup:

As Easy As Riding A Bike

I don't remember him saying that. If he did, then it was pretty thoughtless and, IMO, wrong, whether it was intended to be funny or not.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...s_16_Episode_3/

About 21:30 in.

Hammond - Now you know Breakfast News on the television? Well earlier this week, they were running this story about cyclists wearing video cameras on their crash helmets, so they can video examples of road rage, and people cutting them up, on their bikes.

Clarkson - But cyclists deserve it.

Watching this, I have just noticed the blonde woman in the background nodding in solemn agreement with this comment.

Hilarious.

Top Bottom