Jet wash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
With respect this is nonsense. Legionella is a bacterium, which thrives in a very specific environment under very specific circumstances at very specific temperatures. It will not grow in the freezing cold temperature of an outdoor water butt! If it was possible, how come there hasnt been a health scare over legionella in ornamental ponds, which can reach quite warm temperatures in hot sunshine?

I think you need to check your sources.

It thrives above 20 degrees and can survive at low and quite high temps.

screenman

Legendary Member
Nope. Works when it's very very dirty too.

Maybe you have different mud around those parts.

Levo-Lon

Guru
With respect this is nonsense. Legionella is a bacterium, which thrives in a very specific environment under very specific circumstances at very specific temperatures. It will not grow in the freezing cold temperature of an outdoor water butt! If it was possible, how come there hasnt been a health scare over legionella in ornamental ponds, which can reach quite warm temperatures in hot sunshine?

Like i said ,i know..but the H&S crowd say otherwise.
I have to go on courses all about legionella, ott but there is a health risk.

Its mist that causes the harm

Regarding grease getting washed out, I did have a mountain bike free-hub / freewheel start to lock up one winter.

What was happening was, a bit of water had gotten in, either from spray from cars passing me or just from splash from riding and was freezing during a ride preventing the freehub from disengaging so I had to keep pedalling all the time (wouldn't know straight away due to having a deralier on it)

Can't have been from washing the bike, that one never ever got washed other than the rain!

screenman

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5255556, member: 45"]If you wanted to you could, you're just not pointing at the right places.

If spray off a front tyre can wash out the bottom headset bearing in little time, a targeted jet wash can be much more efficient.[/QUOTE]

You not have watched the video then?

screenman

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5255623, member: 45"]Yeah. He manages to get water into a BB bearing, but not do any immediate damage.

I've never seen a wet or washed out BB bearing on a bike which has had loads of use. I've seen plenty of soaking wet wheel bearings and wet or washed out headset bearings, and dried freehubs from normal use. What does that tell you? That BB bearings are generally more resilient than other bearings on a bike.

If you're that confident I suggest you go out and target your freewheel/rear wheel bearing with your jet wash. Brave enough?[/QUOTE]

Used to do it after every mtb or cross race. Never had a failure. Like you I am only speaking from many years of personal experience.

bpsmith

Veteran
Many of the above points are interesting. On the basis that everyone’s opinion is right, I sumarise:

1. Pressure washers don’t damage BB’s.
2. Pressure washers are seriously damaging in the wrong hands.
3. The finest of mist can damage every other bearing on the bike.

On that basis, I am never going to let and liquid near my bike again. Dirt is completely fine, just don’t get it wet. :smile:

lane

Veteran
Friend of mine lives in a flat and bike always jet washed at a garage. Never had problems I assume he knows enough to avaid them.

Top Bottom