Jigsaws

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A very nice 1500 piece Clemontoni, done over a couple of evenings
20210315_183644.jpg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Lovely second hand puzzle, except there's a missing piece. Really nice to do never the less.

PaulB

Legendary Member

This has driven me absolutely crazy. It's Ben Nevis and Glen Coe, an area I absolutely love but it's my first ever 1,000 piecer. Gaelic is enough to drive you mad with the unpronounceable names for everything and the duplication of them on this sheet. I had planned getting a Private Investigator to find out where the main manufacturer lived and I was then going to stake that person out before unleashing the most hideous revenge for all the many hours squinting at tiny pieces with scraps of information on them. There was one piece that was most definitely missing - but then it wasn't! The very last piece fit perfectly - but it was the wrong piece! That was the trigger to plan hideous execution but then I realised another piece of the exact same dimension was also in the wrong place so another hour was spent scanning each piece individually before I found the miscreant and put the thing right. No missing pieces, everything fit perfectly, execution reprieved at the last minute. Phew.

As Alfred Wainwright used to say about Harvey maps, they were good enough to frame so that's why I got it and eventually able to frame it as I'd also completed it.

Oh, and I'd also climbed all the Munros on this sheet! One was an outlier I'd done before it was elevated to Munro status but it included another Munro I'd also done that was demoted from the list.

Last edited:
View attachment 582486

This has driven me absolutely crazy. It's Ben Nevis and Glen Coe, an area I absolutely love but it's my first ever 1,000 piecer. Gaelic is enough to drive you mad with the unpronounceable names for everything and the duplication of them on this sheet. I had planned getting a Private Investigator to find out where the main manufacturer lived and I was then going to stake that person out before unleashing the most hideous revenge for all the many hours squinting at tiny pieces with scraps of information on them. There was one piece that was most definitely missing - but then it wasn't! The very last piece fit perfectly - but it was the wrong piece! That was the trigger to plan hideous execution but then I realised another piece of the exact same dimension was also in the wrong place so another hour was spent scanning each piece individually before I found the miscreant and put the thing right. No missing pieces, everything fit perfectly, execution reprieved at the last minute. Phew.

As Alfred Wainwright used to say about Harvey maps, they were good enough to frame so that's why I got it and eventually able to frame it as I'd also contributed to completing it.

Oh, and I'd also climbed all the Munros on this sheet! One was an outlier I'd done before it was elevated to Munro status but it included another Munro I'd also done that was demoted from the list.
I've just started this. I need a magnifying glass to read the names on the oh so flimsy box lid.
I've been on the hills for 60 years but done minimal in Sturgeonland. In the Lakes it would be easy but like you I'm having to get my tongue round all those weird names.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I've just started this. I need a magnifying glass to read the names on the oh so flimsy box lid.
I've been on the hills for 60 years but done minimal in Sturgeonland. In the Lakes it would be easy but like you I'm having to get my tongue round all those weird names.
That's a major problem with the box lid and the half-scale map that goes with it. It's a definite handicap to anyone wanting to complete it. I didn't think I'd finish it and came close to throwing it through the window on many occasions. Stick with it though. Completion brings an immense satisfaction.

Well I've finished it.
Took me forever.

The quarter scale image on the box was little help, especially as the shading was far darker than in the puzzle, so a lot of detail was hidden. Identification was hard so when I found a place name I started resorting to Google to tell me where it was. Far easier than peering through a magnifying glass.
When I was about 75% through I sorted pieces into piles of similar shapes - 3 holes and one out, 3 outs and one hole etc. Then I just worked through the spaces.
I never thought of giving up, but I do have a fetish for maps, but this wasn't really pleasurable to do. Just a long slog. I won't be repeating it. Anyone want it for the price of postage?

Top Bottom