Job hunting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
domtyler said:
Arch, while you say that you understand about not putting down anything negative, what you are doing in this sentence "While not fully conversant with current practice, I have a basic understanding of the process" is qualifying your lack of in depth experience, which is negative. If you simply leave out the qualifier to leave "I have a basic understanding of the process" you turn it into a positive statement of your ability. This can then be built and expanded upon, e.g. "I have a thorough understanding of the basic concepts of process X, during my time at Company X I did this, that and some of the other."

Ok. I'll see how I can word it and still feel honest.

Alec, I would imagine so, especially if you shout "Bingo" half way through...:rolleyes:

mangaman

Long post alert!!

As I said before I think honesty and being yourself is the key

Assuming this is a fairly small archaeologically based operation (from what you've said) and that you're probably academically overqualified for it, I would try to be yourself

Although I interview in the NHS, which is a massive organisation, the jobs are working in small teams who have to work together in life or death situations, so I'm looking for people I can get along with - they're all well qualified by the time they get to interview

Certainly the team at Fishbourne Roman P are small and friendly and they would very likely be looking for someone they can get along with first and foremost if employing someone

Unless I'm misjudging the job you're after I would cut your CV to the bits directly relevant to the job
Go to the interview thinking that it would be their loss if they didn't employ you and just be yourself
Generally if you interview enough you can see through the cocky people who have all the answers instantly to hand - you know you'll be sick of them in a few weeks when they actually start work

If I was interviewing someone over 30 I would be much more interested in how they've managed their life as mature adults, and how they arrived at where they are and what they do outside work than what O levels they got aged 16. I often find the best junior doctors are the people who have started as mature students and had to work their butts off just to get as far as the interview.

So to summarise :rolleyes: don't try to twist words that make you feel even vaguely dishonest
Think what an interesting life you lead and what a shame it would be for the company if they didn't employ you
Don't worry about being shy / quiet / appearing nervous - unless you're applying to be the next host on Strictly come dancing this doesn't matter and interviewers will put you at ease
Remember there are lots of jobs around and only one you!

Hope all that helps - it's rather "Unbusiness" but I suspect the worlds of medicine and archaeology have that similarity. I've always been a crap and nervous interviewee and now I'm an interviwer

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Cheers, mangaman, that all sounds very sensible. I've been at home all morning knocking the CV and letter into shape, and I'll go home in a bit and give it a final proof read. I've been able to use a lot of the tips suggested here, so many thanks all, once again.

I feel less intimidated by the whole process now.:biggrin:

http://www.kogan-page.co.uk/bookdetails.aspx?ISBN=0749443561

http://www.kogan-page.co.uk/bookdetails.aspx?ISBN=9780749438753

These two books are very worth reading. The CV book in particular is brilliant - it is a series of tasks designed to provide you with the raw material to develop a relevant, excellent CV for any position you want to go for.

When I used the CV book, I got two interviews from two applications, and was offered my current job at 150% of my then salary. I can't recommend it highly enough.

biking_fox

Guru
From my experiance, looking for work is as hard as actually donig a job and you need to put the same 40hrs a week in to get anywhere.

Keep everythign as short and direct as possible.

Certainly tailor each CV and letter to the specific post. If there are any specific details they mention a good tip is to make sure you use the same language they do:
Example.
We require highly motivated team players

In you CV AND letter you put:
I am a highly motivated team player.

Don't bother with explanations of ho
w and why you've become one, just state that you are. IF/WHEN you get the interview be prepared to do the explaining then.

The idea is make it as clear as possible that you fufill all their requirements, then and only then do you the opportunity to say why you're better than anyone else.

Just read some more of this thread.

If you have a post-grad degree, you ABSOLUTELY DON'T NEED to give details of O-levels, GCSEs etc. Irrelevant and use up valuable space, and makes you look insecure.

Similarly, YOU DON'T NEED TO put everything you've done - no matter how interesting or way out there it is. Keep the CV limited to experience that is directly relevant to the post. When I was applying to work for a major development NGO, I didn't mention that I had served in the British Army, or that I had been an election monitor in Kalmykia.

The CV should be 2 pages max. I've read academic CVs that are 6 pages long, listing every friggin' lecture given. Those people don't get invited to interview, as they have shown that they are incapable of analysis and targetted response.

Hope you do well!!

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Well, it's done and handed into the office, so let's hope it was ok! I did include O levels, but only in terms of "O levels attained in (list of subjects)", I didn't bother with grades or stuff like that. I may ditch that bit in future.

And I did include a very short paragraph on interests, as a conversation piece. The whole cycling thing is going to be obvious anyway, having worked for Company of Cyclists for a few years. It's a post in a small team in a small office, so I figured a personal touch matters. If I have to go for something in a bigger place, I'd alter it to suit. So thanks for all the advice folks!

Of course, if I get it, I'll only be here two days a week pestering you all, so you all have a vested interest in me succeeding!:angry:

domtyler

Über Member
Arch said:
Well, it's done and handed into the office, so let's hope it was ok! I did include O levels, but only in terms of "O levels attained in (list of subjects)", I didn't bother with grades or stuff like that. I may ditch that bit in future.

And I did include a very short paragraph on interests, as a conversation piece. The whole cycling thing is going to be obvious anyway, having worked for Company of Cyclists for a few years. It's a post in a small team in a small office, so I figured a personal touch matters. If I have to go for something in a bigger place, I'd alter it to suit. So thanks for all the advice folks!

Of course, if I get it, I'll only be here two days a week pestering you all, so you all have a vested interest in me succeeding!:angry:

You need the internet at home in that case as I am pretty confident that you'll get the job.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
domtyler said:
You need the internet at home in that case as I am pretty confident that you'll get the job.

I have internet access here in the department for this year, and can call in anytime to use it, so I've put off paying extra to have it at home... Dear god, if I had it at home, I'd be here all night as well as all day!

domtyler said:

So am I, after I wrote a letter of support saying that you appeared to have the drink and drugs under control, and the violent rages were lessening under the new medication. :sad:

Top Bottom