Job hunting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
meenaghman said:
in which case "you are skilled in the core concepts of xxxx"

Hmm, nice! I do worry a bit about too much 'management speak', mainly because it's not something that comes naturally to me, so I know it feels false....:sad:

Arch said:
say something like "While not fully conversant with current practice, I have a basic understanding of the process"? .

Yes, that sort of thing sounds pretty good, because it's honest. Remember, many applicants will be claiming to be expert at everything.

NickM

Veteran
Arch said:
Ok, a more specific question...
But there cannot be any specific answers, because recruiters are inherently capricious. They are inconsistent one with another, change their minds from one moment to another about what they like... it's all about the exercise of their petty power over those who have no choice but to appear in front of them. All of which makes it perfectly OK to tell them lies if you reckon you can get away with it.

A while ago, I was interviewed for an alternative to my current job (there was a bit more money on offer, and I thought the environment might be an improvement). The recruiters were playing a "nice policeman, nasty policemen" game with me. I wasn't offered the job; they would have had to be pretty dense not to spot my disdain for their methods. I really regret not saying to them "Either you are playing silly games with me, or one of you really is as unpleasant as you appear. Either way, I don't want your job. Good afternoon!".

I always think of these things later :becool:

Absolutely. I have turned down a job offer because I just didn't like the people who interviewed me, or the department itself. They, in their arrogance, forgot that in a recruitment interview the employer is under as much scrutiny as the candidate. And they didn't give a good account of themselves....! I gave them the feedback afterwards too. They couldn't understand why I would turn them down (a 5* management school somewhere in the north of england).

NickM

Veteran
I did once have an interview which was straightforward. It was for a job as a trainee tree surgeon. The interviewer pointed to a large tree and said "Climb to the top of that and wave".

I did. They gave me the job. I lasted a fortnight :becool:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
NickM said:
But there cannot be any specific answers, because recruiters are inherently capricious. They are inconsistent one with another, change their minds from one moment to another about what they like... it's all about the exercise of their petty power over those who have no choice but to appear in front of them. All of which makes it perfectly OK to tell them lies if you reckon you can get away with it.

Ah, but I would never assume I could get away with it.... No, I just don't think I could lie anyway.

To be honest, in this specific case, I don't imagine the interviewers will be like you describe - I know the sort of people who work there and it's not like a big company with an HR department and all that malarky. But I suppose it's good to be forewarned, in case I have to apply somewhere like that.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
NickM said:
I did once have an interview which was straightforward. It was for a job as a trainee tree surgeon. The interviewer pointed to a large tree and said "Climb to the top of that and wave".

I did. They gave me the job. I lasted a fortnight :becool:

What and then you branched out into something different? Didn't you twig before that it wasn't the job for you? Why did you leaf...?

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I wanted to be a tree surgeon but I faint at the sight of sap........
(Printed by kind permission of 'The Worlds Oldest oak Book')

T x

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
The boss was grumpy, but his bark was worse than...

So Nick just decided to get to the root of the problem and go with the phloem....

NickM

Veteran
In most ways it was one of my better jobs <insert wistful sigh here>. The people were fun, and you felt that you were doing something worthwhile... but a lot of it consisted of lugging bits of tree around, and I'm not built for that. I used to arrive home so knackered that I'd fall asleep and wake up in time to set off for work the next day!

domtyler

Über Member
Arch said:
Ok, a more specific question (and I really do appreciate all your help, people:smile:):

One of the things they say is desirable (but not absolutely necessary) is something I have a slight experience of, but not in a recent up to date way. Is it better to not mention it at all, or to say something like "While not fully conversant with current practice, I have a basic understanding of the process"? I understand that you don't want to say anything negative, but is it better to make the best of what you have (obviously, to say I was fully conversant would be a lie)? I'm assuming that there are things like this in a lot of the sort of jobs I might be applying for.

Arch, while you say that you understand about not putting down anything negative, what you are doing in this sentence "While not fully conversant with current practice, I have a basic understanding of the process" is qualifying your lack of in depth experience, which is negative. If you simply leave out the qualifier to leave "I have a basic understanding of the process" you turn it into a positive statement of your ability. This can then be built and expanded upon, e.g. "I have a thorough understanding of the basic concepts of process X, during my time at Company X I did this, that and some of the other."

Top Bottom