Job hunting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
Arch said:
How encouraging to think that we must all think of ourselves in terms of what might be held against us....:evil:

But I get your point.

Unfortunately this was one lesson I had to learn the hard way! :biggrin:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
have to agree with dom, pretty much what i meant in my initial post.

if they seem the type of company that is keen in ticking the green boxes, mention that you'd cycle to work in the interview if you think that they'll appreciate it. you'll also want to know how cycling friendly they are in case you take the job (showers, changing rooms, somewhere to securely lock your bike etc). i'd leave it off the cv for reasons previously stated. and don't mention your post count on here :evil:

i know what your up against here arch. i'm hoping to be in a possition to look for work soon, and i hate doing c.v's and cover letters. though i've usually got interviews from them, and always got the jobs i've had interviews for. it has to be said that they have all been really rubbish jobs though! :evil: yep i say include the o-levels. i usually bang on about being able to work well as part of a team but also able to be self-motivated and use my own initiative blah blah. a dollop good time management, people skills and ability to work under pressure and to deadlines always seems to help. it is hard to big yourself up, i find it really hard. not sure this has been much help really :biggrin:

go for it arch, you can do it! :biggrin: your are without a doubt the most interesting person that i don't really know :biggrin: they'd be mad not to give you a job. good luck!

cheers, velocidad.

alecstilleyedye said:
if they seem the type of company that is keen in ticking the green boxes, mention that you'd cycle to work in the interview if you think that they'll appreciate it.

Be sure that they'll appreciate it though, before mentioning it. There are two good reasons. Firstly, many employers only pay lip service to green issues. Look at the size of the car parks and number of cars outside most council offices. Secondly, if they haven't already got bike parks, showers etc. the last thing they want is someone agitating for them.

Being a total cynic, you're much safer asking if you get a 4x4 with the job, than asking about bike racks.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
For this particular job, I could walk to work!

I can see that I have to tick all the boxes, but some of it seems so pointless. I mean, you have to say you can work in a team but also be self motivated. Like anyone is going to put "I hate people, but also I won't work unless you hit me with a stick". So much of it seems to be stuff that OUGHT to go without saying...

Ho hum. Thanks for the advice, I'll be rejigging my CV later.

domtyler

Über Member
laurence said:
best advice.... ignore everything i said

This one sentence seems to sum up where you are in your life right now Laurence. Unfortunately you will most likely stay there until you decide to do something positive about it.

This is from someone who has been out of contract on numerous occasions I might add. Each time I could only get back into work through hard work.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
laurence said:
yeah, i know. i'm a loser

From what I remember you seem to have been doing quite a lot of applying for jobs - I think some people just have bad luck. I hope your luck improves soon.

I hate the fact that anyone should have to sell themselves so much to get a job. In an ideal world, those of us who just get on and knuckle down quietly would get jobs through word of mouth, and those with all the flash buzzwords, but who are actually lazy chancers looking for the next chance would get bugger all. I don't mind losing out to someone better qualified, but I mind losing out to someone who can just shout louder...

Hey ho.

Arch said:
I don't mind losing out to someone better qualified, but I mind losing out to someone who can just shout louder...

Hey ho.

The trick is not to apply for for the sort of jobs described thus:

The successful candidate will be a supremely confident leader with a proven track record of driving top level management in an ultra competitive results driven fast moving environment full of of challenges..............

Arch said:
From what I remember you seem to have been doing quite a lot of applying for jobs - I think some people just have bad luck. I hope your luck improves soon.

the truth is i am a talentless loser. i have no skills to talk of.

still, with any luck i might not wake up tomorrow

mangaman

I think it depends a lot on the job

I do a lot of interviewing in the healthcare setting. We look for people with interests and social skills.

Obviously they need to be able to do the job ie fulfil the person-spec, but this means a certain level of experience and qualifications are guarenteed before short-listing.

I assume things are different in different jobs. Personally I would ignore the O-levels and include a section on outside interests.

I do a lot of volunteering at a famous archaeological site and judging by the types I see they are much more "touchy-feely" and closer to the healthcare environment than most business people but I'm not sure

(So I'll shut up now)

domtyler

Über Member
laurence said:
yeah, i know. i'm a loser

No you are NOT a loser, you just haven't got a job at the moment. There is a very big difference.

You have shown through your posts and photos on here that you are a decent and intelligent bloke and very talented in at least one area. I know EXACTLY how you feel as I have been there myself on more than one occasion.

You really need to pull yourself up by your boot straps and start getting more positive about things. I know you can do it and I don't even know you, I'll bet I'm not alone either!

Abitrary

Arch said:
How long should the letter be? I'm assuming that the CV should be more general, and the letter more specific to the job. I'm guessing the trick is to read the job spec, then say why you fit it perfectly?

For jobs I'm really interested in, I tailor my CV according to what they're after, and I think that is what a lot of people advise.

If you don't catch someones eyes with the first few seconds or couple of paragraphs, they're more likely to flick forward to the next person's one.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
laurence said:
the truth is i am a talentless loser. i have no skills to talk of.

still, with any luck i might not wake up tomorrow

I'm sure that's not true. For what it's worth, I generally agree with you on the not waking up tomorrow bit. But it's unlikely to happen, so we'll just have to get on with it... I'm sure you have plenty of skills, but you can always add to them with a bit of lateral thinking anyway. Having talked to a mate today, I've realised I can expand "writes the odd review" up to "editorial assistant" and that's not lying or exaggerating, it's just valuing all the other help I give.

Mangaman, I think you have some good points. I guess I think if I was looking for someone, I'd be interested in their pastimes etc, not just their skills, so I assume other people will. Maybe it depends on the size of the team as well - a well rounded person matters more in a small sociable team than in a big corporation.... What site, BTW? Just out of interest.

Patrick, that sounds like the very, very last sort of job I'd apply for....:evil:

Abitrary said:
For jobs I'm really interested in, I tailor my CV according to what they're after, and I think that is what a lot of people advise.

If you don't catch someones eyes with the first few seconds or couple of paragraphs, they're more likely to flick forward to the next person's one.

This is very sound advice - stress the qualities and qualifications that they are interested in and edit out anything that might put them off.

Top Bottom