Job hunting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
Interests: Knitting. And a bit more knitting. Occasional crochet. Older men who can pronounce 'Bala' with their own teeth. :evil:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
ChrisKH said:
Interests: Knitting. And a bit more knitting. Occasional crochet. Older men who can pronounce 'Bala' with their own teeth. :evil:

:biggrin::biggrin:

if they've given a list of competencies which are 'essential' then make sure those are highlighted in your CV and covering letter.
Have you done a competency based CV or are you doing a more biographical version. PM me if you want any CV advice.

mangaman

Fishbourne Roman Palace (to answer Arch's question)

There's a job coming up as the director of the Palace soon if you're interested (although I think they may have already interviewed)

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Kirstie said:
if they've given a list of competencies which are 'essential' then make sure those are highlighted in your CV and covering letter.
Have you done a competency based CV or are you doing a more biographical version. PM me if you want any CV advice.

Er... Well, I've listed education and jobs in chronological order, so I guess that's biographical? - under each job I've listed (in prose rather than bullet points) the skills I used/gained, duties undertaken etc. Also mentioned voluntary stuff I've done, like education outreach stuff for the Department, and writing etc for Velovision...

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
mangaman said:
Fishbourne Roman Palace (to answer Arch's question)

There's a job coming up as the director of the Palace soon if you're interested (although I think they may have already interviewed)

Oh, yes, I've been there a few times. Very lovely place. I think Director of anything is beyond my experience/wishes though....:evil:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
FWIW, here are my thoughts...for reasons not of my own making I've had to find 4 jobs in the last 8 years...I got every one I applied for, hope my luck continues and hope I'm settled now for the long run...but corporate planschange, don't they.

CV needs do change according to the type of jobs and how you are applying, i.e in a couple of cases I've been head-hunted, in others I was 'known' in the Industry. If you're appling to a job advert/description then that's a bit tougher. Your CV needs to stand-out from the rest if you are going to.

OK my CV 'ideas/tips' I have used...

Make it stand out, I have used photos (I'm no Oil painting) and they recieved positive comment.
Use a different but clearlyl egible typeface if it takes your fancy.
Produce your CV in Landscape
Use bullets to be succinct where appropriate, but beware of listing
everything.
Incorporate a 'joke', OK, on My CV it says:
Family; One Wife xxx, 3 children xxx (15 y/o), xxx(13y/o), xxx the "One wife" bit is always mentioned with a smile...I know then that they have read everything...
List most important info first, recent job to first job last, same with qualifications.
Include important courses you have attended.
Do write about hobbies/interests, as the last bit, allows some personality to shine...again, I slip a 'joke' marker in there somewhere.

Finaly, the covering letter should elude to your talents and experience that meets their needs...but don't make it read too 'perfect' or 'desperate'.

Write both CV and Letter with a smile and enthusiasm...it'll shine in the way you write.

Not everybodies style, but has worked well for me and always got good feedback.

Good Luck

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Arch said:
Er... Well, I've listed education and jobs in chronological order, so I guess that's biographical? - under each job I've listed (in prose rather than bullet points) the skills I used/gained, duties undertaken etc. Also mentioned voluntary stuff I've done, like education outreach stuff for the Department, and writing etc for Velovision...

make sure you put most recent first e.g. degree, then a-levels, o-levels etc.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
alecstilleyedye said:

Thanks, I think I've got it the other way round. Dunno why, I'm sure I knew that from a CV workshop a couple of years ago....

Foodie, that's all encouraging thanks. The bit about writing it all with a smile is great - a sort of think positive boost.... I think I'm OK with visual clarity, good font etc, that sort of thing is important for essays and stuff as well so I have practice. I guess the 'jokey' aspect is something you just have to know you can pull off, and not go overboard and end up sounding like Jimmy Tarbuck... :evil:

Well, it seems I won't be able to produce one CV to cover all your various advices (but I knew that would happen). Let's hope I pick all the right bits!

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
alecstilleyedye said:

And finishing with that pic of me at 18 months after a meal of spagbol and chocolate pudding....:evil:

OK well here is a section of the competency part of my competency based CV when I was a post doc. It's very very out of date but it's a reasonable example.

It focuses on what I could do skills - wise rather than a historical account of what I have done in the past. Each skill was illustrated by something I've done. The whole point of it is that it shows how the skills are transferrable to different areas. As well as 'communication' I also had 'creativity', 'analytical skills' and 'project management'.

The competency bit was on the first page of the CV, and came after my name, contact details, and a profile statement. On the second page were my education, work experience, referees' names, and interests which were relevant.

Communication
• Successfully negotiated access to nineteen companies out of thirty approached, for research purposes, having had no prior contact with eighteen of them.
• Feeding back research to all participating companies by written reports (one per company) and follow up telephone interview, feedback entirely positive.
• Speaker at six international conferences in the last three years to audiences of up to 200 people.
• Interviewing 90 people in depth over two projects in six years.
• Nine academic papers, five conference papers and two journalistic articles written in the last three years. One paper accepted for publication, ten currently under review, five delivered ‘live’.

Kirstie said:
OK well here is a section of the competency part of my competency based CV when I was a post doc. It's very very out of date but it's a reasonable example.

It focuses on what I could do skills - wise rather than a historical account of what I have done in the past. Each skill was illustrated by something I've done. The whole point of it is that it shows how the skills are transferrable to different areas. As well as 'communication' I also had 'creativity', 'analytical skills' and 'project management'.

The competency bit was on the first page of the CV, and came after my name, contact details, and a profile statement. On the second page were my education, work experience, referees' names, and interests which were relevant.

Communication
• Successfully negotiated access to nineteen companies out of thirty approached, for research purposes, having had no prior contact with eighteen of them.
• Feeding back research to all participating companies by written reports (one per company) and follow up telephone interview, feedback entirely positive.
• Speaker at six international conferences in the last three years to audiences of up to 200 people.
• Nine academic papers, five conference papers and two journalistic articles written in the last three years. One paper accepted for publication, ten currently under review, five delivered ‘live’.

Only vulnerable to Green Krypton! :evil:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Kirstie said:

Communication

Oh, I see the sort of thing. Interesting way to do it. I'll have to have a think whether my stuff would be better that way. I'm so used to thinking in a more chronological fashion - I think in very logical straight lines....

Of course, now I'm intimidated by your superior prowess...:evil:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Kirstie said:
I didn't mean to intimidate, more to illustrate. And of course I was selling myself in the CV so it's supposed to look a bit spangly.

Actually I looked at that old CV (from 1999) and thought 'my god I'm a slacker these days...' :biggrin:

Oh, it's OK, I know, hence the :biggrin:

I think one of the things that sets people apart is ambition - I just don't have any, so it's always impressive when people are so active with papers and stuff like that.

I just want to pay my meagre bills, preferably doing something interesting in a place with nice people, and without working 7 days a week.... It's just not so inspiring is it?;)

Top Bottom