Job hunting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Arch said:
Oh, it's OK, I know, hence the :biggrin:

I think one of the things that sets people apart is ambition - I just don't have any, so it's always impressive when people are so active with papers and stuff like that.

I just want to pay my meagre bills, preferably doing something interesting in a place with nice people, and without working 7 days a week.... It's just not so inspiring is it?;)

Its eminantly sensible though...most of my ambition has gone now cos I worked far too hard until I realised you don't actually have to to get by...:biggrin:

Arch said:
I just want to pay my meagre bills, preferably doing something interesting in a place with nice people, and without working 7 days a week....:

Don't go anywhere near an estate agent then. :biggrin:

Danny

Legendary Member
Kirstie's advice is spot on - particularly for organisations which have role profiles based on competencies.

I do a fair amount of recruitment where I work, and I am much more interested in whether candidates have the competencies needed to do the job than in what their career history was. Many public sector or voluntary organisations will not even interview you unless your application clearly demonstrates you can meet the required competencies. You need to address each competency systematically in exactly the way Kirstie has demonstrated.

In contrast education is much less important - though I guess academic jobs may be an exception to this (Kirstie should be able to advise on this point). When I am interviewing candidates who are more than about 21 years old I have no interest at all in their O-levels, GCSEs, or A-levels, unless they are providing evidence of recent learning. Even ancient degrees are of little interest unless they are directly relevant to the job you are applying for.

As others have said, the key thing is to make sure your covering letter is tailored to the specific job you are applying for. We usually reject standard CVs and covering letters out of hand if they do not address the requirements of the job.

Good luck. I am also happy to give some feedback if you want to PM me with a draft CV or application.

NickM

Veteran
Arch said:
...ambition - I just don't have any...
This is entirely laudable. You deserve to be much happier than those ambitious self-gratification artists types who find themselves in a position to dish out jobs.

I couldn't bring myself to go again through all the play-acting, dishonesty and bullshit that is required to get a job. I just keep turning up at the one I've got :biggrin:

Have you investigated in depth the possibility of being a full-time slacker? I can see no good reason for having a job unless it is absolutely unavoidable. It's only because I can't afford it that I'm not saying "Have mine".

In the meantime, I recommend reading this, on the basis that the world of employment is marginally less intolerable if you at least belong to the small minority who understand what it is really all about.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I almost concur with NickM!

It was my honest complete lack of ambition which secured my current job (which is as good almost as it gets btw), simply because the company could offer no career advancement...perfect for me, I just wanna do the job well, get paid, go home and ride my bike...any go-getter would have left by now. My big boss understands I have had much higher positions and finds it strange that I am content with a lot of repetitive lab work...well, it's a rest and I can have a laugh with the girls in the lab once in a while...where's the problem with that?
After years of corporate striving, to enjoy what you do is really important, leave ambition to the young....they need it.

Noodley

Dannyg said:
Kirstie's advice is spot on - particularly for organisations which have role profiles based on competencies.

I do a fair amount of recruitment where I work, and I am much more interested in whether candidates have the competencies needed to do the job than in what their career history was. Many public sector or voluntary organisations will not even interview you unless your application clearly demonstrates you can meet the required competencies. You need to address each competency systematically in exactly the way Kirstie has demonstrated.

Yep, what he said. I got my recent promotion mostly (due to my charm and wit :wacko:) because I matched all the competencies in my application and impressed from the off - or so I was told. The interview bit was easy, I am not ambitious in the "look at me" way, and don't really care if everything goes to plan (if indeed there is a plan) - it's good when it does but not too important if it doesn't. Again I was told I was very relaxed and presented myself well during interview, not making a forced effort to impress but being self-assured re my abilities (bluffing, I think it is called :o).

So match the competencies and be confident and relaxed.

Abitrary

When it comes to the interview, you might get asked the old question:
'where do you see yourself in one year's time?'.

Some people reckon a good stock answer to show ambition is 'sitting where you are now.'

Don't say this!!! It doesn't work

Noodley said:
Yep, what he said. I got my recent promotion mostly (due to my charm and wit :smile:) because I matched all the competencies in my application and impressed from the off - or so I was told. The interview bit was easy, I am not ambitious in the "look at me" way, and don't really care if everything goes to plan (if indeed there is a plan) - it's good when it does but not too important if it doesn't. Again I was told I was very relaxed and presented myself well during interview, not making a forced effort to impress but being self-assured re my abilities (bluffing, I think it is called :biggrin:).

What else did the Worshipful Grand Master say? :sad:

simonali

Guru
I'll be looking for a new job in the spring, hopefully. Selling the gaff and moving to West Berks and not planning to commute back to the current job.

I'm quite lucky in that there is a shortage of people who do the job I do, so nearly every interview I go to I get offered the job! I don't even wear a tie when I go. :sad:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Thanks everyone. Look like comptetency might be the way to go, I'll have a good look at that Monster page as well. It makes sense, it's just that I'd never thought of it before, and being generally conservative (with a small c), needed to get my head around it.

NickM said:
Have you investigated in depth the possibility of being a full-time slacker? I can see no good reason for having a job unless it is absolutely unavoidable. It's only because I can't afford it that I'm not saying "Have mine".

Hmmm, well, there is the affording things aspect.... (I don't mean lots of stuff, I mean the basics like rent, food etc). I think I am essentially a hunter gatherer type though. One of the mistakes undergrads often make is to assume that the invention of farming as a way of life immediately led to an easier life, when in fact, it didn't - it simply meant that more people could live off the same area of land, but they had to work harder to do it. Hunter-gatherers (at least in productive climates) actually have a lot of leisure, but just not a great surplus - and that's how I want to be - not a huge amount of stuff, but time to relax....

What IS a good answer to "where do you see yourself in one years time?" For me I hope it would be to be finished (or very nearly) the PhD, and to be settled in a useful job (the job I'm applying for, obviosuly;)) that I did well and enjoyed and could continue to do....

Arch,

Don't forget to mention that you won the Cyclechat member of the year award for 2007. I am sure that would be the clincher!!

Seriously, good luck! Some good advice here.:sad:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Ok, a more specific question (and I really do appreciate all your help, people:smile:):

One of the things they say is desirable (but not absolutely necessary) is something I have a slight experience of, but not in a recent up to date way. Is it better to not mention it at all, or to say something like "While not fully conversant with current practice, I have a basic understanding of the process"? I understand that you don't want to say anything negative, but is it better to make the best of what you have (obviously, to say I was fully conversant would be a lie)? I'm assuming that there are things like this in a lot of the sort of jobs I might be applying for.

Top Bottom