Jockey wheels, maintenance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Do they need any?

Thought brought on by having just replaced some. They definitely needed replacing due to wear over about 12 years.

But should I have been doing anything to them?

I tend to just spray them with gt85 and wipe the muck off.

I don't for instance ever take them apart.

The old ones clearly came apart as I removed them and there was a certain amount of muck and grit there.

Rowano

I take mine off and clean them up once a year, normally in spring after riding through winter grit and salt in Scotland. Not really sure they need it so much as everything else is coming off so these may as well too.

When putting back together I just put a drop of oil around the roller and the...bit...thing...ridge...whatever it's called where the metal...errr...caps...things sit in. I'm right technical me, innit.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I take mine off and clean them up once a year, normally in spring after riding through winter grit and salt in Scotland. Not really sure they need it so much as everything else is coming off so these may as well too.

When putting back together I just put a drop of oil around the roller and the...bit...thing...ridge...whatever it's called where the metal...errr...caps...things sit in. I'm right technical me, innit.
I'd use grease, make sure you put them in the right place as they are different.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Depends. I tend to occasionally clean and re-grease the Shimano ones, but they are ceramic bushings and have seals. The standard ones would just need a very occasional clean and oil.

SRAM jockeys that have cartridge bearings need re-greasing fairly often, especially on MTB's. Despite being sealed, they have a tendency to seize. If new, I'd still pop the seals off and re-grease ASAP. Same with GXP BB's - not a patch on Shimano.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
They definitely need some sort of lube as they are the fastest rotating parts on the bike.
I believe I read that they do upwards of 450rpm with a cadence of 70-90 on a standard road bike and they are mostly bush bearings metal on plastic/ceramic.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I think there is a danger that if you remove, clean, grease and replace jockey wheels too often, sooner or later one will come loose on you.
So I do my best with GT85, a toothbrush and kitchen towel.
Threadlock on the screws every time when you put them back on after taking them off for a thorough clean.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Hink the last thread on this had a range from dismantling and regressing weekly to never touching them. To be honest, I a much nearer the never touch them end of the spectrum. A bit of oil dribbled in after a good wipe down and that is about it.
Interesting on the greasing. I have in the past heard of folk greasing them, but am a bit puzzled as i wasn't aware that there was any grease to start with under those "washer" things which are on either side of each wheel.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
[QUOTE 5320714, member: 9609"]never during the summer but about once a fortnight during the wet winter months, (only takes a few minutes to dissemble, grease up then reassemble (do one at a time makes it simpler as the cage doesnt move))

never had one come loose and don't use threadlock, don't even put them on that tight (famous last words)[/QUOTE]
Will try the one at a time if i do it again. I took the entire plate off, somewhat worried that i wasn't going to put it and the new wheels back right. Despite meaning to carefully note how I have taken things apart I often get sloppy/overlook something.

Top Bottom